Article on Women's gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Article on Women's gear

Post by balzaccom »

This is a nice article by Kate Worteck for Elle. It's well written, funny, and spot on. Here's how it starts:

Last fall, a friend and I were packing up for a weekend of backpacking in the Desolation Wilderness. She's a badass professional guide and I work in the outdoor industry, so naturally we started comparing gear—which led to a list of all of the gear we'd passed on buying because it was only available in "girl colors." At times, we've both resorted to shopping in the boys' section of REI (size-wise, it turns out that I'm either a slim woman or a very strapping 12-year-old boy).

And here's a link to the rest of the story:

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-pol ... door-gear/
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Re: Article on Women's gear

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Not a surprise. Women have been exploited in almost every possible way for years. Expensive clothes, healthcare, pay equity, job opportunity, the list goes on.

Glad we finally have a President that has ultimate respect for women! A great role model for our sons! You won't hear him calling women derogatory names or cheating on his wife.

Oops, never mind.

John
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

I'm usually a muted colors kind of guy, but the fact is, they do specifically market to women in colors and styles, and I'm often wishing that some of the selection was available to men.

And John, President Trump has nothing to do with marketing outdoor wear to women. It's about what sells to the targeted group of consumers, as well as the needs of individual vanity and self-image being met. There may be some driving of fashion tastes and presenting what looks good, but it's about responding to demand, be that whatever it may.

I get the larger plight of women in society: I have a mother, sister, daughter, ex-wife, girlfriend, female friends, all of whom I love and respect as individuals, beyond their gender, but let's look at the source of the article/opinion in this case on the basis of their banner alone (I'll assume that these are the priorities of management, staff, and readers...in descending order of importance??):

"ELLE Fashion Beauty Culture Life & Love Horoscopes"

Wow! Firing on all cylinders as far as women's rights are concerned. Turn the page; Why look it's another ever so stylish ensemble, another pair of shoes, and a scratch-and-sniff perfume ad. What does Elle know about marketing to women other than how to do it very well by predictably manipulating and pigeon holing them into a stereotype that's just about anything but liberating? I kind of doubt most of their readers are thinking that that dress would be so much more desirable if it had bigger pockets, a Recco transmitter, and came in brown.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

mrphil wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm...I'm often wishing that some of the selection was available to men.
It depends on your sizing, I suppose. I have some women's clothing. I used to specifically buy women's rain shells because they were tighter fitting, less bulky, a bit lighter in weight. All of my long underwear are women's because I hate that flap in men's models. And I've got a few pairs of pants that my wife bought that didn't fit her well but were close enough in size for me to use. The lack of rear pockets on those kind of bugs me. But I suppose it makes my rear end look nicer.

mrphil wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm...it's about responding to demand, be that whatever it may.
The market also drives the demand. I hear it from my wife all the time about how she can't find the styles she wants because the latest fad has eclipsed them. You can't make your wallet heard about what you want if what you want isn't available. It's true for men too.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

My wife has also complained about how she can't find anything that works because fashion is emphasized over function. She has tried men's clothing but says it is too big for her. I bet this is the same for alot of women just like the article pointed out. It simply isn't available.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

As a man only, I've had the same experience with the women in my life searching and not finding, but I found that the opposite was too often true. It wasn't "cute enough", made their butts look big, wasn't complimentary to their form, didn't match this or that, awful color...I'm also more of a utilitarian and a firm believer that form must always follow function. Sometimes it was a hit, others a miss. I gave up being a participant in the process at all. I tell them the requirements of what needs to happen functionally and environmentally, then step decidedly away. Like Longri, I love the theory of tighter fits at times, above that, I love the array of colors you can't find in men's versions, but I also need the pockets, comfort, layer ability, performance, durability, etc. Pink, purple, chartreuse, whatever, so do women, IMO. If that's not being provided by the designers and manufacturers, it needs to be. The clothing is supposed to be purpose-driven by what it's used for. Bright colors are great, but they have to be applied to what works.

We all love new stuff, but I'm fine looking like a dirt clod and using my gear and clothing until it's disintegrating, others aren't, and will always resort to making a fashion statement in how they perceive themselves, and in presenting how they want the world to see them in that light. This is true of everyone, women and men alike. We see it on the trail, all the time, especially the closer we are to the trailhead, and the higher the percentage of day hikers. I want to be as fair as possible in my assessment of the article's author's statements and concerns, and also don't want to take away anything from her plight or the plight of other women in the bigger picture ( I'm sure her concerns and points are totally legitimate), but she's a self-professed seasoned backpacker, and her friend is a "guide". They're going for a weekend in Desolation...a weekend. Great! But instead of going into the gear closet or drawer to grab up what they undoubtedly already have that's tested and proven (as such avid enthusiasts), they go shopping. Whether that's in the boy's dept or not, that isn't exactly doing much to dispel the notions of manufacturers and retailers that their offerings and strategies aren't working and need to change. In my world, with the women I know, there is never a trip that doesn't involve a shopping trip beforehand. I go when I need fuel canisters, they go for something new and cute, and I have a very hard time believing that they're the exceptions to the rule. In fact, I lean more towards the idea that they're status quo. It perpetuates the stereotype and the problem. If you want something to change, you withdraw your support until the message becomes loud and clear.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rightstar76 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:42 am My wife has also complained about how she can't find anything that works because fashion is emphasized over function. She has tried men's clothing but says it is too big for her. I bet this is the same for alot of women just like the article pointed out. It simply isn't available.
That's why a lot of smaller women wear kids gear...

I get clothing from Duluth Trading and wear men's shoes to avoid the pink.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

mrphil wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 am ( I'm sure her concerns and points are totally legitimate), but she's a self-professed seasoned backpacker, and her friend is a "guide". They're going for a weekend in Desolation...a weekend. Great! But instead of going into the gear closet or drawer to grab up what they undoubtedly already have that's tested and proven (as such avid enthusiasts), they go shopping.
Where does it say they are going shopping? They are simply putting together their gear, and discussing it as they pack....I think this is a projection on your part--and an unfair one.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

mrphil wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 am In my world, with the women I know, there is never a trip that doesn't involve a shopping trip beforehand. I go when I need fuel canisters, they go for something new and cute, and I have a very hard time believing that they're the exceptions to the rule. In fact, I lean more towards the idea that they're status quo. It perpetuates the stereotype and the problem. If you want something to change, you withdraw your support until the message becomes loud and clear.
It's obvious you've bought into the stereotype.

John