Review of 3 person

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Review of 3 person

Post by mrphil »

That would probably do it for some failures. When it doesn't zip, the slider isn't properly engaging the hook and hollow chain system because it's deformed and separated with use. A set of pliers and equal pressure on both sides to decrease the gap between the top and bottom boards of the slider will usually fix it. But then that would require carrying a multi-tool and more than displacing any overall carry weight gain that using a better/bigger zipper would've added had you not had to carry a tool to do the repairs to begin with. That would be the more robust slider material part of it. The other failure is separation of the chain's hook and hollow with stresses beyond its capacity. Either of both types of failure would be solved with bigger/stronger zippers, and the materials they're made out of. I don't think it's a question of zippers themselves needing to be rethought so much as it's just that they're sacrificing what's necessary for an ounce or two of weight savings...and then of course, because #3 zippers cost less than #5s. So it's not the zipper itself, it's who's making the decisions. It might even be simply a matter of going back to metal teeth instead of plastic and finding the weight savings in the form of something like rethinking pole geometry or material.

And if the failure is at some random spot along the length of the zipper, use a knife blade to open the slider slightly, free it up, back it all the way down, then repress the slider back to the proper gap, zip it back up.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

oldhikerQ wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 am i was envisioning a more robust slider material; perhaps stainless steel or a high strength aluminum alloy.

Perhaps that would make a difference. But a more robust zipper slider would have a market. So if it's possible why isn't it being produced? At the very least you'd expect to see it in premium quality tents. But you don't.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I seem to remember that MarkSkor asked Henry to put in new and better zippers on his tarptent. Henry refused.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Tent zippers are generally chosen to be lightweight and cheap.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:22 am I seem to remember that MarkSkor asked Henry to put in new and better zippers on his tarptent. Henry refused.
Better or bigger?

Tarptent has changed over the years. I have a recent model and it uses #5 YKK zippers.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am Tent zippers are generally chosen to be lightweight and cheap.
Weight is an important criterion, yes. But there are tents that cost over $1000 that use the same zippers because they are the best available.

Name one expensive alternative to the zipper that is also relatively lightweight.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Velcro.

My current summer shelter uses no zippers at all, only Velcro.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

What shelter is that?

Anyway, velcro is even less expensive than zippers, is a PITA to operate, and fails sooner. Others on the list of poor alternatives include buttons, hooks, snaps, clips, and ties. At least buttons, hooks, and ties won't freeze or gum up. But all of these would be really annoying to use on a regular basis.

There are some tents with magnetic door tie-offs. But using magnets to seal an entire door would be problematic.

Maybe a zipper that can be easily removed/replaced without tools is a potential solution for certain situations. You could carry a spare!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

As I previously stated, it is my current summer shelter. It uses no zippers at all. It weighs about 13 ounces plus stakes and a trekking pole (center pole).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

who wants a center pole in a 3 person tent? You're talking about a floor-less tent, right?