Review of 3 person

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Review of 3 person

Post by longri »

I don't know why bobby is being so coy about the maker of his shelter. But I don't think he implied it's a 3 person model. And anyway, it's quite common to sleep three in a large center pole pyramid shelter simply by shifting the pole to one side.

I have a single person (homemade) floorless pyramid and that's what I do. I angle the pole off to one side. It's zipper weighs 0.7oz which is nearly 10% of the total weight. I thought very briefly about using velcro but it wouldn't save very much weight unless I used velcro very sparingly, just in spots rather than a continuous strip. And the one other time I used velcro instead of zippers I regretted it.

Velcro is an alternative, just not an improvement over zippers.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

"I don't know why bobby is being so coy about the maker of his shelter."

I'm not being coy. It is just that the shelter maker was never asked. You are correct, it is intended to be a large 1-person or small 2-person shelter. Or, maybe one person and two dogs.

The shelter was commercially made by a cottage industry. Then I got it and fleshed it out with a proper bug net door, rain door, floor, tie-out cords, and titanium stakes. I use my trekking pole as a center pole, but I do not count the weight of the pole into the shelter since its primary role is for walking.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I asked you what shelter it was. I was just curious. It's not really relevant.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This was a review of a 3 person tent.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

rlown wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:44 pm This was a review of a 3 person tent.
Well, you know how it goes....we got on the subject of zippers and hit a snag.

I think the ultimate solution is 300 gallon Zip-loc bags and a couple sticks.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

We didn't get on the subject of zippers. It was in the first post:

oldranger wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:12 amThe big negative aspect of the tent was the zippers.

And to add to that discussion... Zpacks sells tents with no zippers on the outer doors. They use a combination of hooks and toggles to secure the door flaps.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

longri wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:42 am We didn't get on the subject of zippers. It was in the first post:
Yes, I know. It was very much the main issue/complaint of the first post. I was just playing with rlown and poking fun at at how this has evolved.