silicon spray on TarpTent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

silicon spray on TarpTent

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have a 10 year old TarpTent Contrail that doesn't have that many nights on it. However, it has not seen rain in several years thanks to spending all it's time in the central Sierra area (and being lucky). So next week I am going to Olympic NF and there are showers forecast, so I am a bit concerned about the tent. I bought some silicon spray to waterproof a printed map and was wondering if I should spray the tent.

Any thoughts?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
austex
Topix Expert

Re: silicon spray on TarpTent

Post by austex »

I'd give a quick call or email to Shire's and ask them. It's a impregnated silicone in the fabric weave and not a coating as I understand it. BUT test a small corner and see if it raises the existing coating regardless. The solvent that the spray uses may cause havoc with the tent.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I wouldn't worry about the fabric. Seams are important:
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Probably the fabric is okay but you can test your tent by spraying it with a hose.

When silicone impregnated fabric starts to wear down the usual approach is to coat it with a dilute solution of silicone (100% silicone adhesive/caulk + mineral spirits). It's hard to know if the spray you have is appropriate without knowing more about what it is exactly.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

I have a Contrail the same age and had the same concern. I sprayed it with Atsko Silicone Water Guard. The tent probably didn't need it but it certainly didn't hurt it. I test my tents every couple of years by putting them on the lawn and running the sprinklers.

As Russ said, the seams are what to watch. My Contrail has kept me dry in some severe thunderstorms with pounding hail. I have moved on to a Tarptent Moment Doublewall though...

https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Silicone-W ... B0001FYL2M
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks everyone. I tested it out and no water penetration. I seam sealed it before I ever used it and it to has kept me dry in some nasty stuff. I guess I am just a little paranoid of the possibility of long term rain up there. I never want to spend another sleepless night spent mopping up rain in my tent.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.