Dog packing equipment

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dog packing equipment

Post by rlown »

I'm thinking about taking Simba late next June on his first backpacking trip to the French basin out of North Lake. I also got a foam pad for him as I'll need it when we are hunting this waterfowl season, also used for his sleeping arrangements in the tent at night. I'm sure he's gonna blow out my neo-air. :D

So far I found Kurgo dog booties on chewy.com and the "approach" pack on ruffwear.com.

What packs and booties do you have for your friend?
Other than his favorite stuffed duck toy, what else should I bring?
mrphil
Topix Regular

Re: Dog packing equipment

Post by mrphil »

rlown wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm Other than his favorite stuffed duck toy, what else should I bring?
I think you should bring Simba...he'll appreciate all your new dog-sized gear. :nod:

And this:

https://foter.com/photos/271/diy-dog-tent.jpg?s=pi

Or better yet, this:

http://wombatcreek.org/wp-content/uploa ... etpack.jpg

Or, in order to make sure that PETA doesn't get involved, this is best:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04 ... 141888.jpg
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've got a double rainbow so he fits fine, and his pad is on the way. I can modify a quilt for him.

I'm more interested in dog packs and booties choices at this point. Any answers?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:05 pm I've got a double rainbow so he fits fine, and his pad is on the way. I can modify a quilt for him.

I'm more interested in dog packs and booties choices at this point. Any answers?
You also need to consider some Vuarnet sunglasses for the dog. It should have elastic straps to keep it on.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've never worn sunglasses. I don't see the need.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

rlown wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:05 pm I'm more interested in dog packs and booties choices at this point. Any answers?
75 lbs, pretty big dog. Wouldn't it be best to have him at least be able to carry his own gear and food? So, enough volume for what he needs, daisy chains for add-ons, unrestrictive and uncomfortable to where he hates it or it leaves him with abrasions, ventilation so he doesn't overheat. Form following function.

I'm wondering how people adequately allot space in a bear can for enough kibble though. What's that, a few pounds a day in Simba's case? Maybe his own, or a larger canister for you?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

His kibble will fit in my can at night. I don't eat that much. His food weighs in at about 5 lbs for a 9 day trip. Blue wilderness salmon kibble. He'll carry it.

I want to know about pack brands. and booties. I've identified a couple but I want to know what people use. He eats 1 and a half cups two times a day. I'll up that to a total of 4.5 cups a day for the trail and treats.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

rlown wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26 pm I've never worn sunglasses. I don't see the need.
Never? Not hiking over snowfields? Not skiing on a bright sunny day? Not out on the ocean all day fishing on a clear day? Wow. How about trout fishing with polarized sunglasses? Now, there's a real useful area for them.

The fact sunglasses are a billion dollar industry tells me lots of people disagree. I'm one of them.

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

John Harper wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:09 am Never? Not hiking over snowfields? Not skiing on a bright sunny day? Not out on the ocean all day fishing on a clear day? Wow. How about trout fishing with polarized sunglasses? Now, there's a real useful area for them.
Never. I wear prescription glasses and tried the sunglasses version of them once, but I really didn't like them. Besides, I don't see a lot of animals out there sporting sunglasses either.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I really liked wolf packs dog packs when I went with my dogs. I forget witch booties but it took me a few brands to figure out which ones actually stayed on
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein