Seamstress to sew a sleeping bag.....

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Seamstress to sew a sleeping bag.....

Post by Snowtrout »

Does anyone know of a seamstress around the Fresno area that can sew a down sleeping bag? I need to create a "new" doggie sleeping bag for our doxies by sewing across a bag (and cutting off the excess) to create a mini bag, so no creating baffles or anything too fancy. I have the bag and know what areas need to be sewed together but need an industrial sewing machine to do the job. If anyone knows somewhere or has a machine, please let me know.
Thanks
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Seamstress to sew a sleeping bag.....

Post by John Harper »

Perhaps try an upholstery shop? They have to sew complicated items, leather, vinyl, etc. And deal with stuffing in couches and chairs.

John
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Why do you need an industrial machine?
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Upholstery shop......exactly where I need to visit. They should have a sewing machine that is not constrained by the size or shape of something.
Thanks, I forgot about them.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Snowtrout wrote:Upholstery shop......exactly where I need to visit. They should have a sewing machine that is not constrained by the size or shape of something.
Thanks, I forgot about them.
I've had all kinds of projects done by upholstery shops. Leather repair, golf bags, etc. I've got the headliner in my Ranger starting to come loose, going to stop by my local shop and see if they can help.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not know why you need an industrial sewing machine to sew seams on a sleeping bag. Industrial machines are for sewing thick tough stuff; your sleeping bag is just light weight nylon. The only thing you have to do is pushed the down away from the seam. Down clumps clog up the needle. I have sewn an entire sleeping bag from scratch with my home sewing machine. Any seamstress could do this.

If you have a sewing machine, you could do it. Just start with a new needle and get an appropriate thread (use on nylon). Three methods.

Cut the bag before sewing separates the two sides and is easier to handle. Wet the middle part of the bag (this keeps the down from flying around), shove the down aside, pin the flat part on both sides and cut between. Remove any stray down if needed. then fold the cut ends, pin and sew.

Another method is to "burn" two parallel straight lines, about 2 inches apart, and cut between. Nylon will melt when heated and that would fuse the front and back nylon sleeping bag material. Remove any stray down and then fold twice, pin and sew. Never really did this myself. Perhaps heat one of those metal yard sticks heated and with hot mitts, press down on the bag. I would experiment with some other nylon before doing it on the bag.

Third method, is to wet the middle of the bag, push aside the down, fold the bag, pin about 1-2 inches from the fold, and sew with the excess sleeping bag on the left side of the machine, held by someone else so the weight does not interfere with your sewing. Then cut and then fold and finish each seam.

As for the zipper, you would need put each zipper tab on each end, cut the zipper, sew the cut part of the zipper and maybe sew on an some seam tape to reinforce it. This could even be done with hand sewing. The foot end would be a bit odd because you would open the zipper from the foot end. But dogs do not care.