Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: REI Co-op Sahara Heathered T-Shirt - alternatives?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I actually now use $3 cotton T-shirts from Walmart. They are very thin (about 3 oz weight) and wash easily and dry quickly and comfortable. Not sure if Walmart has equivalent men's shirts. Then when I am done with the trip the shirt goes in the dumpster, or I cut it up for cleaning rags. I only use T-shirts under my regular long sleeve hiking shirt, and rarely wear just the T-shirt.

I have quit paying the high prices for "performance" clothing, except for the bugs-away clothing. Thin cotton dries quickly. 60/40 nylon or polyester/cotton shirts also dry quickly.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I actually now use $3 cotton T-shirts from Walmart.
BAM! Men's version is just under $5. Fruit of the Loom "Platinum" or Hanes Beefy-tee. Many colors. I wear them until they disintegrate, maybe half a dozen new ones a year, work great, then throw them out...still cheaper than just one REI synthetic.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I'm a fan of the Nike Legend Dri-Fit T-shirts. They do a great job of wicking and dry very fast. When I wash them and take them out of the washer, they are already pretty much dry.
-------------
Dave | flickr
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Can't match WD's $3 cotton, but for $20 a Techwick Essential from EMS is my favorite "next to the skin" shirt. Not sure how they make these, but they are super soft, and dry very quickly.
ts