Steripen Users: Need Advice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Steripen Users: Need Advice

Post by sparky »

I've been using a steripen since they hit the market, so I am very familiar with them.

I need a new one, however I am unfamiliar with all the new models.

I have owned 2 steripens, the original, and the first generation adventurer. The original was a POS and I only got 2 years out if it. My Adventurer was a workhorse, and I got a lot of use out of it so if I was to buy another one it would be this one unless you convince me otherwise.

Which model of steripen do you use and why? If you were in the market for a new one, which one would you choose?
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Steripen Users: Need Advice

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I have and use a Classic 3 Steripen and I would buy another if this one gave up the ghost. I've had it over three years and it has worked flawlessly. I like that it has no moving parts, unlike the low quality Katadyn pumps that I've used in the past. All of those broke within a year or two and always in the same spot. Bad engineering.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Steripen Users: Need Advice

Post by jdille »

I used a Steripen Adventurer for a few years. I switched to the Steripen Ultra because I was tired of finding and using batteries. I ran out of battery on a trip and it was pretty lame to boil or use tablets for days at a time. I tried to find a replacement for the battery between trails in town and couldn't find one. In general, I am trying to rid my gear of disposable batteries and this just added to my frustration. I think that the new Adventurer has a rechargeable battery, but I like that the Ultra uses USB and I can charge it with the same charger I keep for my phone. Or a solar charger, or whatever. Also, (this is probably not an issue for you) I remember getting confused with the lights on the Adventurer sometimes and whether it really worked or not. The Ultra has a smily face or a frowny face. Maybe it is simplistic, but it saves me time guessing whether the thing worked or not.

I admit that I've switched back to using my MSR Sweetwater for my primary filter on long trips when I think I may need a significant prefilter. But the Steripen Ultra is lighter and I use it whenever I can. I think they are great.