Lightweight comfortable sleeping pad?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightweight comfortable sleeping pad?

Post by fishmonger »

let me update my Exped UL7 review... My second UL7 LW failed two nights ago in the middle of the night, again not by puncture, but by a complete material failure where one of the connecting baffles separated from the base (or top, can't tell , it's inside). So after the loud noise you find yourself with your butt on the ground and low pressure. Inflate it again and the now double wide baffle space will become a 7" tall turd down the length of the pad. Can't sleep on 1/2 of it, so I left it semi flat and headed into Mammoth to buy something else. I now recommend to avoid this product. Their warranty is pretty lame, too.

So now it's Thermarest NeoAir Xlite for me. Spent $2.50 in the DIY store for a plastic adapter that lets me use my Exped Schnozzle inflation bag on the Thermarest. It sure is light, but noisy. Smaller, lighter, and it just feels like it may last longer. Plus, if a baffle separates, it won't ruin the pad as completely as the Expeds did for me.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

There are lots of stories on the web about Exped baffle failures. But the Neoair Xlite is far from a panacea. They puncture pretty easily and the baffles fail after a while without being abused. I had one blow after about 6 months of light use. You might be able to sleep on it with a blown baffle but later you'll still be trying to warranty it or just buying a new, very expensive little pad.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Have only slept on hammocks in backyards not in the backcountry. Hammocks are fine for back sleepers but because of the gravity curve not so on sides or face down. I'm on the rotisserie system changing to a different position every time I wake up that is usually a few times each night.

On the 3 day backpack I came back from last Friday, my 19 ounce Thermarest Venture sleeping pad developed a pinhole leek that had me annoyingly blowing the thing back up each time I woke up during the night. Been there done that a lot over the years. Since I had a minor right knee cartilage tweak that tended to cause dull pain all night, the constant variation of the pad volume had me rather uncomfortable as I kept readjusting leg positions. Have had inflatable Thermarest pads now for about 2 decades but decided no more. I've patched a lot of holes in each pad but that is not that big an effort. Although I like the softness and insulation versus a foam pad, the deal breaker is I greatly dislike sleeping on my back atop any surface that evenly presses against my back because that puts pressure against my spine that after several minutes becomes uncomfortable. Always hated water beds for the same reason.

For most of my adult life, I was not able to lay on my back more than a few minutes and for years only on my right side due a deep internal hemorrhage I suffered decades ago. However my body seems to have rebuilt itself such that for about a decade now can lay on all sides, back, and face down and tend to be on the rotisserie system each time I wake up. But to use one of these inflatable pads on my back requires significant deflating.

After returning home, slept 5 nights on my home floor atop an old Thermarest RidgeRest foam pad I used to use a couple decades plus ago. That has convinced me to change back in that foam direction. Most certainly firmer than any firm mattress but was surprised how my thin little body seemed fine atop that. Not something heavier bodies probably can feel comfortable atop. At 66" 137#, I'm 41x32x35 so with the foam pad on my back, my shoulder blades and rear take all the pressure leaving little force against my spine.

So just bought on amazon a similar model with added reflective technology and is one of the newer folding forms versus rolled up. Picked it up from my UPS box Friday. Enjoy the feeling on my feet too haha.

Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Ultralight Foam Backpacking Mattress, Small - 20 x 47 inches 10 ounces
Total $38.13 including $3.18 in tax but no shipping.

May complement that with a small sheet of foam at the hips.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Massdrop has the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad for sale at $55. Though 5 oz heavier and 2 inches narrower, and .3 inch thinner than my Exped Synmat HL MW it has a higher r value, thicker fabric and is significantly than the exped mat. Seems like it may be a good choice for september when temps can get significantly cooler than earlier in the season.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!