Lightweight comfortable sleeping pad?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Lightweight comfortable sleeping pad?

Post by bandguy5686 »

Hi gang,

I'd like to get an idea of what you all think is a good sleeping pad in the back-country. I'm 61 and the really thin pads mean sore hips and pretty crappy sleep. What works for you?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightweight comfortable sleeping pad?

Post by maverick »

Here is one thread of several thread: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... eeping+pad :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

Klymit Static V Lite Insulated works great for me, I'm 60.

John
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I've tried them all. The last few have been Exped. I have left behind/sold Thermarest NeoAirs and Klymit pads for various reasons, none of them having to do with durability...

Big Agnes is ok but the Insulated Air pads are noisier than any other. The Q Core line is pretty good. I haven't yet tried the new Axl though I may do so if the current inflatable bites the dust. I have thoroughly worn out the Exped Synmat.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I abandoned air pads decades ago. Foam pads seem to be much more reliable for me. I use a Gossamer Gear foam pad, torso length. However, part of that is because of the way that I carry my bear canister. I wrap the pad around the bear canister and tie it with a strap. Then that whole burrito gets dropped vertically into my backpack. So, in one respect, the pad acts as the structure to fill out the backpack and pads the back panel. Beyond the torso length for sleeping, I use a smaller piece of thin foam, which is actually used on the inside floor of the backpack.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

For many people a 2cm thick foam pad isn't comfortable. The OP writes, "thin pads mean sore hips and pretty crappy sleep", so he's also in that group.

So that leaves the inflatables. When they work they're wonderful. But, yeah, they are are fragile, or heavy, or both. And they're expensive. You can always double or triple up on foam if you don't mind a humongous roll and the extra weight. But with care an inflatable pad can serve you well... for a while at least.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

longri wrote:For many people a 2cm thick foam pad isn't comfortable. The OP writes, "thin pads mean sore hips and pretty crappy sleep"
There are ways around that problem that some of us discovered decades ago. It's partially a training issue.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

bobby49 wrote:
longri wrote:For many people a 2cm thick foam pad isn't comfortable. The OP writes, "thin pads mean sore hips and pretty crappy sleep"
There are ways around that problem that some of us discovered decades ago. It's partially a training issue.

Wait until you are 70! Even the best mattresses at home don't aleviate the pain in hips and shoulders. Pretty much tied to ultralight inflatables for comfort and limited weight carrying ability.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:
bobby49 wrote:

Wait until you are 70! Even the best mattresses at home don't aleviate the pain in hips and shoulders. Pretty much tied to ultralight inflatables for comfort and limited weight carrying ability.
Just got back from another trail crew weekend. I usually carry the hammock. When you're sawing stuff and digging and flinging branches around all day (red fir branches can weigh 50-80 lbs all by themselves) there's absolutely nothing like a hammock, in which you can stretch and bend in ways that a pad won't let you, and that underquilt moves right along with you keeping you warm...

I'm taking the inflatable when I'm going where hammocking is less practical (not impossible, just not practical) but it's not quite the same.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote:
oldranger wrote:
bobby49 wrote:

Just got back from another trail crew weekend. I usually carry the hammock. When you're sawing stuff and digging and flinging branches around all day (red fir branches can weigh 50-80 lbs all by themselves) there's absolutely nothing like a hammock, in which you can stretch and bend in ways that a pad won't let you, and that underquilt moves right along with you keeping you warm...

I'm taking the inflatable when I'm going where hammocking is less practical (not impossible, just not practical) but it's not quite the same.
If there aren't any trees close enough together, it's definitely not very practical. I spoke with a guy from the east who had brought a hammock with him. He said the trees are much closer together, and the ground much wetter back east where they are more popular (and practical). He couldn't find two trees close to each other that were within 200 yards of the rest of his group.

John