Sleeping pads

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Sleeping pads

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am looking for a wide, but short, pad. The only one I found was the Klymit Static V2 Junior. Has anyone tried this very different design? Reviews are mixed regarding sleeping on it if you are a side-sleeper. I sort of curl up on my side when I sleep and with the standard 20-inch width pad my knees are off the pad. A 3/4 length pad is actually sufficient for me since I use my pack as a pillow.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sleeping pads

Post by markskor »

Similar problem - shorty pad not really wide enough.
I use a Thermarest short Prolite-plus. Dimensions - 47 x 20 x 1.5 inches, Weight -11 oz., R-Value 3.4
and a cut-down, cc, blue pad for under for my feet.
Mountainman who swims with trout
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Some buy a wider Thermarest and cut down the length. Lots of posts on BPL about how to do it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I would be hesitant to buy an expensive Thermarest Pro Lite and cut off an end and try to sew it up.

Markskor- I currently use the Pro-Lite x-small (8 oz). Do you think the Pro-Lite Plus is worth buying a new pad? Currently I also use a blue pad under my feet,the Pro-Lite for hips and shoulder cushion and my pack as a pillow. I am cold at nights when I really should not be (I have a 5-degree bag) and I suspect that I need more R-factor in my pad. So I am looking for a new sleeping pad. Parts of me are always a bit off the pads, so I would think a wider pad would be the answer.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Markskor- I currently use the Pro-Lite x-small (8 oz). Do you think the Pro-Lite Plus is worth buying a new pad?
WD -
Me - 6' 225 and all I need from a pad is to cushion shoulders to knees...works well. BTW, also a side sleeper. Daisy, really like my Prolite plus - Weight, R-value - 3.4!, plenty of cushion too (I don't bottom out)... but just wish it a bit wider.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I have the regular Klymit Static V, and it's been good for me. However, the R-factor on it is very low like most inflatable pads. I also bring along a 3/4 length ccf pad for the additional insulation at night, protection of the inflatable pad against puncture, and as a sit pad during my typically long mid-day break. I believe they weigh about 27 oz. total, but I'm worth it.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I have the Static V Lite Insulated. Love it. I am a side sleeper and it is much more comfortable than my old Thermarest pad. I've used it over 30 nights so far and no leaks. It only weighs a pound, is 23" wide (no 20" BS with arms hanging off), and inflates with about 12 breaths (nice feature at high altitude). I sleep fine/comfortable on my side as well, and you can feel the insulating material warm below you within minutes. Very satisfied.

John
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

My hip bottomed out too easy on the Klymit and it was icy cold.

Yes, I had the insulated version. No, I don't think it's worth what you pay for it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

John- is your pad what is called the "V2"? I do not think it is overly expensive, compared to some pads out there.

I am currently sleeping on a pro-lite 1/2 inch pad, and as thin as it is, it is tolerable for hips. Would not mind a bit more padding, but not critical. It is the width and overall warmth that I am trying to change from my current system.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Wandering Daisy wrote:John- is your pad what is called the "V2"? I do not think it is overly expensive, compared to some pads out there.

I am currently sleeping on a pro-lite 1/2 inch pad, and as thin as it is, it is tolerable for hips. Would not mind a bit more padding, but not critical. It is the width and overall warmth that I am trying to change from my current system.
No, it's called the Static V Lite Insulated. They might not make it any longer, as I just looked at REI website. It was less than $100, not that expensive compared to the NeoAir. It's super easy to inflate, and I find it quite comfortable, especially as a side sleeper. I really like the extra 3" width over my old Thermarest.

I have not been cold, nor have I noticed my hip bottoming out when on my side. I only weigh 160 pounds, so maybe someone heftier might have an issue.

John