Stove

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

If I remember correctly, I had a pot/pan dedicated just for bping, as they had unremovable soot on them, but were relatively clean as I gave them a good scrubbing when I got home. That is ok, as I still have pots and a frying pan just for bping so I know they are in good shape for when I go out. The frying pan is kept in a paper bag to contain any oil I may have missed so as to keep my pack clean and in the old days, to keep the pack free of soot.
Piece of cake.
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by StumbleBum »

I use a 'kelly kettle' sometimes (sometimes called a volcano kettle I think) - it's nice not having to pack any fuel, or a pot. But while relatively light, it is a bit bulky. It's an option I consider when space in my pack isn't an issue.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Canister fuel

Post by frediver »

I just came across a statement that fuel consumption for a gaz stove was just over 1.3 oz. of fuel per hour, when you read the charts comparing various stoves this amount sounds about correct. I.E 26-8 liters. per 8 oz. cart. So 1.4 oz. per hour to be safe.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Paige had posted a link over a year ago on Backpacker mags forum comparing different stoves/fuels. It was interesting to see when any extra weight would pay for itself over a supposed lighter stove/fuel combo.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

frediver, here is something I came up with, http://www.kzpg.com/Backpacking/Stove/Stoves.htm

I believe the one Paige posted had the numbers crunched already. She must be on a trip, I haven't heard back from her. Instead of surfing the web, you can play with this calculator. Go down a short ways and take a few minutes absorbing it all. Have fun.
Piece of cake.