western mountaineering ultralite super

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

western mountaineering ultralite super

Post by paula53 »

I am considering buying this bag, my drawback, it is very expensive. Is it really worth the price, and how much life will I get out of it? I an very gentle with my equipment. It retails for $330. I currently have an REI SUB KELO, that is rated to 15 degrees, but it is very overrated in the warmpth factor. I would gratefully appreciate your feedback. :)
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

The WM Lite series is made of less durable/lighter fabric to cut down on weight and I believe they recommend it for experienced people. If you are careful with your stuff it should last, being careful I'm sure like taking it easy when stuffing it in its sack and away from the doggie. The hood if any fits better than others too I have heard. Love there light weight too if you are an ounce counter, if not, there are other comparable brands close in weight. They make the class standard in sleeping bags. I have three now, although I have noticed on my last two that the normally conservative rating they had earned isn't that conservative anymore. There bags have a full zipper at least on ones I am familiar with which helps on those warmer nights. To save some money buy it locally at the Sporting Rage on South Carson St. and save shipping charges. They are a small shop and would appreciate the business. If you go there, tell them Duane sent you, it won't help any but they would know someone recommended them. Carson City can use the tax dollars too.
Piece of cake.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

Thank-you, I will go over to the Sporting Rage tomorrow and take a look. :D
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

They are small, you will have to order it, none in stock I believe. It will only take a few days to get so get your looks in online. I hope I didn't mislead you.
Piece of cake.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

You might want to check out Feathered Friends sleeping bags. They have a lightweight series and their bags are great.

I have two Feathered Friends Bags and one of them is a women's lightweight 30 degree bag - I ordered it with the water-resistant cover and 1/2 zipper. It's holding up really well and is nice and warm for a 30 degree bag. You can order different covers, different sizes, different zippers, different colors - it's really nice how they customize the bag for you.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I've heard good things about Feathered Friends as well. But then, my REI sub-kilo doesn't seem over-rated at all, so I probably sleep warm. Now, for some reason that seemed relevant when I wrote it but now it doesn't at all. Ah well, never mind...