Windbreaker

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Windbreaker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Does anyone carry one of the sub 4 ounce windbreakers in addition to their rain jacket? It seems like it might be a good idea when it is cold/windy but dry, since you wouldn't sweat as much as if you donned your waterproof jacket. I carried one (albeit not a 4 ounce one) 40 years ago when my rain protection was an over the pack poncho. Once I switched to GoreTex parkas, it was abandoned. Just curious.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Windbreaker

Post by oldranger »

The windbreaker is an essential part of my gear. it is amazing how much it adds to warmth over my old school wool sweater and down vest. And I use a poncho because they breathe better than a parka, I can keep my hands covered and dry, and it serves as an emergency shelter.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by edhyatt »

Pretty much all the time; I generally backpack in that and a LS T in cold weather.

Lightest I use is the Monbell Dynamo - although the Arc Squamish is the best windshirt I have ever owned and a go-to choice.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I carry a patagonia houdini in my pack when I go out. Mine's an older one in a really obnoxious yellow-green that I picked up for cheap used. I think it's a little lighter than the current ones they sell by about a half ounce. Well worth the weight if I need it.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Old Ranger-
What kind of poncho do you carry now, and what does it weigh? Mine was a self made kit from Frostline, probably in the 12-16 ounce range.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

What do you guys define as a windbreaker vs. rain jacket? Why do you take both? I have a puffy jacket for cold and FroggToggs for rain/wind. If it's raining/windy and cold I'll just layer up. If it's windy during the day or at a pass I'll use my windbreaker to cut the wind, that usually keeps me warm if it isn't too cold outside. I like the idea of a ponchos because of all the armpit ventilation if needed. Is a $4 plastic one good enough if it only needs to be waterproof? (Waterproof/breathable fabrics like Gore-Tex invariably compromise either waterproofness or breathability)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

oldhikerQ wrote:Old Ranger-
What kind of poncho do you carry now, and what does it weigh? Mine was a self made kit from Frostline, probably in the 12-16 ounce range.
i have a go lite that I bought at significant discount as they were going out of business. Weighs 8 oz.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted

Post by tweederjohnson »

I bring a nylon windbreaker (Mountain Hardware Ghost Lite Jacket in bright orange - its right around 4 oz). It's been great in cooler weather as well as for blocking mosquitoes.

My wife and I use the same Go-Lite poncho that Mike mentioned. Though we've found that it works a little better for us if we tie it off around our wastes so the wind doesn't blow it up in our faces.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

zackjust32- a good rain jacket is expensive and the wind breaker (3oz) simply is something I can wear while hiking to save wear and tear on my rain jacket. When I get into camp, I then use the rain jacket. The pack straps will really do a number on your rain jacket if you wear it when not absolutely needed. If it is a full-on rain, then I do wear the rain jacket. I have a Montbell rain jacket that breathes quite well and definitely adds warmth when in camp, but prefer not to wear it hiking. My wind breaker is florescent orange, which is needed when I hike during hunting season, and good if I were ever to have to hail help.

I have an old ArcTerex soft shell that I really like to wear while hiking if it is very windy and cold. The front and sleeves are "wind-pro" and the back is very breathable so I do not get a wet back with my pack. I use this in Wyoming a lot because it is really windy there and colder, but it is a bit heavy and not really needed in the Sierra.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

I'm not one to weigh things down to the gram, but I do try to stay aware of weight:function. My pack weight is either acceptable or not. What I accept and carry is purely a matter of what I need for any given trip.

That said, for the past couple years, I've had excellent all-around results with Pertex Quantum and Shield products, specifically some of the Rab gear. I use one jacket for both wind and rain, the Spark. I use an older anorak model that weighs a little less, but the full-zip comes in at about 10oz +/-, and it packs into a tight little ball, unlike some of the big, stiff Gore-tex stuff I used to use as my go-to pieces. Takes care of both wind and rain, fully taped, and it breathes. It's a little weird against bare skin as it feels wet, but you're not. And it takes a long time in heavy rain to wet through. Throw on a good base layer, you're warm and dry.