Windbreaker

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Windbreaker

Post by Mike M. »

I use a lightweight Integral Designs poncho as an essential part of my kit. It is made out of silicon impregnated nylon, weighs less than 9 ozs and can be used as a tarp in a pinch. https://www.rei.com/product/735319/inte ... tarp-5-x-8

I don't like laying around in a tent during the day and will often use the poncho during a downpour rather than retreat to the tent. If I'm still hiking and it's raining steadily, I'll harness up with the poncho on.

Back in the day, when I was poor and had to make do on a budget, I would cut a head hole on a plastic garbage bag and use it as a makeshift poncho. No way to hike with that on though.

Mike
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

i have a go lite that I bought at significant discount as they were going out of business. Weighs 8 oz.
Mike
Thanks Mike. I see that Sea to Summit currently offers silnylon ponchos in the 8 oz range as well.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I carry just the rain jacket. But I do carry the 3 oz. overpants which allows me to carry lighter pants in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

I have been the advocate for while carrying a backpack t-shirt-less on trails wearing cheap nylon windbreakers for many years with these features:

lightweight compressible to pocket size
front zipper
side zipper pockets
tight nylon weave (beware of polyester)
elastic cuff
elastic or draw string waist
not waterproof

1) mosquitoes cannot poke their probosci through the tight nylon weaves
2) does not absorb sweat, dries fast
3) robust able to take abuse wearing a heavy pack
4) can unzip front for cooling
5) replacement is cheap

I also carry a lightweight high quality rain jacket with a hood that I only wear if raining or for extra layering if cold at camp. I bring both for reasons WD related. Never paid more than $35. Also note during summer do not bring any other jackets/parka as the above 2 are my outer layers.