Cleaning and Drying a Synthetic Hat Without it Shrinking?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Cleaning and Drying a Synthetic Hat Without it Shrinking?

Post by rightstar76 »

This is a repeat of a question I posted just hours before the board went down two weeks ago. I apologize for reposting it but I thought maybe nobody had seen it so I thought I would try again.

I had to buy a new R.E.I. Sahara Cape Hat after washing and drying the one I used to have. I had washed it in the past but I couldn't remember if I washed it cold or warm. I do know I made a mistake putting it into the dryer this time as I had never done that before. So I'm not sure if it was only the dryer that did it or if it was also the warm water. I prefer to use warm water when washing as it does a better job getting out the sweat stains and smell than cold water. But I don't want to have to go back to R.E.I. to buy another hat if I shrink the one that I currently have.

The hat is made of the following: The label reads: Crown 100% nylon and the Sweatband 100% Coolmax polyester. There is no care instruction label.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Sorry for the down-time. I hope someone here can answer your question. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Cleaning and Drying a Synthetic Hat Without it Shrinking

Post by BSquared »

rightstar76 wrote:...The label reads: Crown 100% nylon and the Sweatband 100% Coolmax polyester. There is no care instruction label.
The Coolmax website says:
Do garments made from Coolmax® require special care?
Most garments made with Coolmax® fabrics are machine washable and dryable; however, fabric softeners and chlorine bleach should not be used. Some garments may require special care because of the garment style, not the fabric. It is best to read the care label inside the garment.

Energy Saving Tip! > Because Coolmax® is so quick drying, you really don't need to use your dryer. If you've got clothes made from 100% Coolmax®, just hang 'em up to dry and be amazed at how quick it happens! Great tip for travel too!
Not much help, eh? I usually try to wash all my polyester stuff cold and keep it out of the drier, for whatever that's worth...
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Thanks Eric for letting me repost. Thanks BSquared for answering!