Washing machine vs Sleeping Bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Washing machine vs Sleeping Bag

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

So long story short.

Sisters cat peed on my sleeping bag (marmot trestles zero) while I had it layed out on my bed while I was at work. She put it in the washing machine (hot) and then put it in the dryer (max heat) I only noticed this cause now it looks kind of.... Flat.

Is it okay? Is it salvageable? or do I need to buy a new one?

I normally hand wash them so I have no idea what machine washing and drying does to it.

--Christopher.
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Washing machine vs Sleeping Bag

Post by Dave_Ayers »

That's a poly bag. I think the concern is whether the dryer heat was over ~125F which can partially melt the fibers. That may have happened since the bag looks flat. I suggest you call Marmot (https://www.marmot.com/product-info/care.html) and talk to them. Of course you'll want to test the bag before relying on it again.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Hopefully the pee is the only thing that happened to it. I've known some cats that love to test out their claws on such things.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

My cat peed on mine once as well. Right after I got back from a trip and had it laid open on the bed. Hopped right up and peed, then hopped off the bed and went to the other room.

John
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

John Harper wrote:My cat peed on mine once as well. Right after I got back from a trip and had it laid open on the bed. Hopped right up and peed, then hopped off the bed and went to the other room.

John
And now they call him mittens......
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Synthetic fill bags wash O.K. in front loading washers on gentle/cold and dry O.K. on fluff warm. As far as these harsher conditions, though, I agree with calling Marmot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Tom, he already said his sister washed it in hot water and dried it on hot. Damage may have already been done.

I would first wash it again in cold in a front loader, and then dry on cool to warm (use the permanent press cool down cycle), for a long time with a few tennis balls in with the bag. Then a few hours of air dry only (no heat). Sometimes this will break up the clumps. This is more of a method for down bags, so may not work. I suspect, that even if you can revive the fluff, it may smell bad over time.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlaskaIsCold wrote: Sisters cat peed on my sleeping bag (marmot trestles zero) while I had it layed out on my bed while I was at work. She put it in the washing machine (hot) and then put it in the dryer (max heat) I only noticed this cause now it looks kind of.... Flat.

--Christopher.
I would have washed the cat with the bag, but maybe that's just me.. After the sister stopped yelling at me, she'd be the next washer load.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

rlown wrote:
AlaskaIsCold wrote: Sisters cat peed on my sleeping bag (marmot trestles zero) while I had it layed out on my bed while I was at work. She put it in the washing machine (hot) and then put it in the dryer (max heat) I only noticed this cause now it looks kind of.... Flat.

--Christopher.
I would have washed the cat with the bag, but maybe that's just me.. After the sister stopped yelling at me, she'd be the next washer load.
Russ,
Then that bag would have transmorphed into a TNF "Cats Meow" model :unibrow:
Although an animal lover; there were boundaries crossed here!
Agree the fibers were perhaps subject to heat and shrunk...
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

austex wrote:
rlown wrote:

--Christopher.

We once accidentally ran a cat through the dryer with a horse blanket. That was a mess, and it was sad. But, a cat would probably be a fair substitute for tennis balls.

Worst I've ever had was a brand new $600 MSR Carbon Reflex tent, right out of the box, pitched on the lawn for setting up guy lines. Walked into the house for 5 minutes to grab a few things, came back out to two cats playing in it and both hanging from the mesh. Destroyed it. Warranty doesn't cover stuff like that.

But yeah, you need to rewash it on cold in one of those big commercial washers at the laundromat, dry it there on cool or air only, and beat the crap out of those fibers with as much heavy stuff like shoes and balls as possible. Then rewash/dry it again and see where you stand.