Air mattress pinhole leaks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Air mattress pinhole leaks

Post by CAMERONM »

Since Lumbergh mentioned in his post a problem with finding a slow leak in his air mattress, I'll mention a tip that merits a separate post. No, you are probably not going to find that pinhole leak while having an unpleasant time submerging the mattress in freezing cold running water. The trick is to make up a small solution of soapy water and rub it over the mattress until you see some micro bubbles appear. Sleep well tonight...
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Air mattress pinhole leaks

Post by oldranger »

The soap trip does not always work! 2 times I've sent mattresses into Exped because I could not find the leaks with soapy water at home. My theory is that they don't leak rapidly enough to spot the leak unless you put the additional pressure of your weight on the mattress.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Exped has patched my synmat four times now, so I have to wonder what they do differently and if it can be replicated at home...
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

On my last trip I developed a pinhole leak in my Exped mat as well. I did the lake thing and found the hole no problem but it was tricky keeping my eye on exactly where the hole was because as soon as the mat dried the hole became invisible. But that was just the beginning of my frustrations. When I was ready to apply the patch, I discovered that the glue in the tube had dried out, so I had to settle with using pine sap and to my amazement it worked out well enough so I could make it through the night without recharging the mattress with air.

I think I am giving up on air mats, or at least have a backup. Probably a modified Z-rest pad with an air mat that has no insulation. I always carry one anyway as a sit pad and did that when the mat had a leak. it was actually a very comfortable combination.

The new BA AXL air pad may be just what I am looking for.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

CAMERONM wrote:Since Lumbergh mentioned in his post a problem with finding a slow leak in his air mattress, I'll mention a tip that merits a separate post. No, you are probably not going to find that pinhole leak while having an unpleasant time submerging the mattress in freezing cold running water. The trick is to make up a small solution of soapy water and rub it over the mattress until you see some micro bubbles appear. Sleep well tonight...
This is how I find leaks in my keggerator setup :drinkers:
-------------
Dave | flickr
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I worked with some inflatable "pinholely" pneumatics professionally for a time, so I know from experience that soapy water is the most certain diagnostic path. Lack of success might mean finding a more bubbly soap, or putting more pressure on the matt. The actual pressure coming out of a pinhole is very little, so just about any type of adhesive tape should take care of the problem, at least on a somewhat smooth plasticky material. Several mentions of Exped here; I have never had a problem with a contemporary Thermarest. In ancient times I once field-repaired an old fabric Thermarest using a the bottom of a pot of hot water to seal the patch.
Last edited by CAMERONM on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have had Thermarest, Big Agnes, Exped, and continue to use Exped because they are most comfy for me. But they all get leaks, because they are all made of the same &%6&*# stuff, no matter the terminology. They all have a life span and they all wear out. And those three brands take care of their stuff, good customer support. Thank goodness. Stopped using NeoAir when they became wildly different from my original one. Stopped using Big Agnes because the Exped is lighter.