Pack Weight Creep

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pack Weight Creep

Post by bobby49 »

Each year I get one year older, so I attempt to lighten my load by one pound. Obviously this can't keep up forever. I just like to keep my shelter weight down to 12 ounces plus my trekking pole.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

bobby49 wrote:Each year I get one year older, so I attempt to lighten my load by one pound. Obviously this can't keep up forever. I just like to keep my shelter weight down to 12 ounces plus my trekking pole.
I would like to do this, but I really can't imagine giving up the bug netting and a bivy wouldn't work for me (I went from a sleeping bag to a quilt for the freedom of movement the quilt gives). I'm satisfied with my 27 oz. shelter. It's comfortable. I'll just start reducing mileage estimates when planning trips as I get older.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I have switched to a heaver camera and may go even heavier in future. Several years ago I added SPOT and then I switched to even heavier DeLorme. Smartphones are getting heavier. I may take a higher R value sleeping pad in future.

Weight of some items decreased. Tarptent, bear can, switch to minimalist shoes.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Lumbergh21 wrote:
I'm satisfied with my 27 oz. shelter. It's comfortable.
I just completed my shelter for 2018. I started by purchasing a "cottage industry" cuben fiber shelter, and then I added mosquito netting in the door with Velcro closure, more around the perimeter, and seam-sealed it. There are four pull-out cords, and I used luminous cord for that. That much added up to 8.1 ounces.

Additionally, there are ten titanium stakes and a small cuben fiber ground sheet for inside. Those pieces bring the total up to a hair over 13 ounces. I am not counting one trekking pole to erect it with since that is used for walking.

All together, it saves me about 4 ounces from what I used in 2017.

Now I have to drill more holes in my toothbrush handle.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

I'm waiting to see who is the first to market with a titanium toothbrush (with replaceable head, of course).
:)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

bobby49 wrote:
Lumbergh21 wrote:
I'm satisfied with my 27 oz. shelter. It's comfortable.
I just completed my shelter for 2018. I started by purchasing a "cottage industry" cuben fiber shelter, and then I added mosquito netting in the door with Velcro closure, more around the perimeter, and seam-sealed it. There are four pull-out cords, and I used luminous cord for that. That much added up to 8.1 ounces.

Additionally, there are ten titanium stakes and a small cuben fiber ground sheet for inside. Those pieces bring the total up to a hair over 13 ounces. I am not counting one trekking pole to erect it with since that is used for walking.

All together, it saves me about 4 ounces from what I used in 2017.

Now I have to drill more holes in my toothbrush handle.
So, did you add the insect netting yourself? Could you let me know which tarp you used? I'm interested since my tarp style tent is getting to the end of its life, and I'll be looking to buy something new soon.
I hadn't thought of drilling holes in my toothbrush. What size and spacing do you use to maintain adequate integrity to continue brushing your teeth? I actually cut down my handle but more so to make it fit in the ziplock sandwich bag that I use to hold my first aid supplies, toothbrush, and floss. :D
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Previously I used the Lair by Bearpaw Wilderness Designs, and it was made from 0.74-ounce cuben fiber. I've used that very successfully for a few years, so just now I got the same thing in 0.51-ounce cuben fiber. Sewing in mosquito netting is pretty easy. You just have to decide how wide of a piece you need, like 4".
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

oldhikerQ wrote:I'm waiting to see who is the first to market with a titanium toothbrush ...
:)
Only $4200 for this one, but the head isn't even replaceable: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunteratki ... 5fc8374af5
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Only $4200 for this one, but the head isn't even replaceable: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunteratki ... 5fc8374af5
That is why mine is made of platinum. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

I had no idea that such a thing existed. I was thinking that one of the small gear companies would get around to it, in the next millennium or so. Reading the article, I saw that Reinast offers three different bristle replacement plans: five years for $400, seven years for $800, or 11 years for $1,600. Bristle replacements could ultimately cost double the cost of the toothbrush over a lifetime.
I wonder, given the photos, if it is any lighter than a standard $2 toothbrush.
What to get for the backpacker that has everything, I guess.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost