Pack Weight Creep

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pack Weight Creep

Post by maverick »

Who else's pack weight has start to creep up as they age? Gotten rid of your UL Tarp for a Tarptent or light weight tent? Need a thicker sleeping pad for warmth and especially comfort? Warmer sleeping bag during shoulder seasons? Bringing more comfort equipment like a chair or extra pad for sitting, or maybe extra comfort foods/drinks?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Pack Weight Creep

Post by AlmostThere »

Heck no. Same gear for ten years, with a succession of comfy insulated pads and the same old hammock and underquilt. Wore out the nice light tent and bought the same one again. I don't mess with comfort.

But, join trail crew and carry a four lb axe, a set of wedges, a few tools, a couple saw handles and a crosscut (steel) and then you end up with a larger pack.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Yes, I've come to realize over the years that I need a little more support when I'm sleeping than just a short neoair, so now i use a regular length/wide sleeping pad and (gasp) an inflatable pillow. The increase in comfort has significantly improved my sleep.

Though i only brought the helinox chair on one trip last year, I could also see that becoming a more regular part of my pack, at least on shorter trips. it was nice to have some back support while fiddling with gear or rigging a line, as well as to relax in while cooking/eating dinner.

We're not hammock sleepers, but a hammock is a luxury item my wife insists on bringing along, which i've come to appreciate on more than one occasion.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

yeah more fishing gear and often my supai packraft means 45 to 50 lbs for 14 day trip. But in the 80s on a 4 day patrol I carried 43 lbs due to carrying a radio, more extensive first aid equipment, and heavier sleeping pad (but less comfortable), heavier tent, heavier backpack, heavier sleeping bag, heavier clothes.
So after significant loss in weight (at least 10 lbs) with better, lighter equipment I've worked my way back a little due to my fishing addiction. Changes in equipment over my, cough, 60 years of backpacking are amazing!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Actually, mine is creeping down. As I have gotten older, I find that I can't carry as much weight comfortably.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Lumbergh21 wrote:Actually, mine is creeping down. As I have gotten older, I find that I can't carry as much weight comfortably.
That is a problem and why I have been cheating on the first day for several years by getting packed in the first day when the pack is heaviest and usually the distance and elevation gain is substantial. Pretty much limited to 6 miles or so until the pack gets down to the mid 30s
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Mine has gone up a little, but not that recently; I decided in 2013 that short sleeping pads were not worth the poorer sleep for me, ditto with a warm sleeping bag.

I have noticed the cold more of late I think; but still pretty good with base of circa 4kgs for fair weather.

I actually bought a small tarp the other day...not really for me in the UK - but for my Mallorca trips.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My rule is that for every ounce I add, an equal has to be deleted. And for every ounce lighter, due to better gear, I am NOT allowed to add the equivalent!

My pack weight has actually gone down as I age, mostly because I eat less. Used to bring 2 pounds food per day; now 1.25 pounds per day. And I carry none or little water, just drink out of streams. Sort of cheating, though, because a lot of my weight reduction is simply that I have switched from technical climbing (10 pounds of gear) to fishing (11 oz) for my entertainment!

I do tend to bring more on shorter trips, but on 10+ day trips, I have become very minimalist. I do not have the $$$ to buy all the newest UL gear, so I just delete stuff instead. I still sleep on a x-s 8 oz. prolite (R2), pack as pillow, and my small outdoor "sit-pad" for feet. Not super comfortable, but I seem to be able to adjust to it after a few miserable nights. Shoulder season I add a 3/4 length foam pad to increase R-value.

I have always wondered, does being skinny and light result in less need of a thick pad, or, would added fat provide natural padding? Do big guys need thicker sleeping pads? Or do they have it built-in?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I have always wondered, does being skinny and light result in less need of a thick pad, or, would added fat provide natural padding? Do big guys need thicker sleeping pads? Or do they have it built-in?
We need the thicker pads. Not fully inflated but enough so the hip doesn't touch the ground when side sleeping.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

My pack weight slowly creeps down as I occasionally find or make some slightly lighter item I can swap in.