Vest?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Vest?

Post by maverick »

Anyone still use a vest in the backcountry as part of their layering? If yes, why and what?
Had a WM down vest several years ago, but haven't taken a vest into the backcountry for a long while, I do wear some older Patagonia vests during the Fall/Winter season back home sometimes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Vest?

Post by oldhikerQ »

If weather forecast calls for near freezing temps in the AM, I bring one to warm up my core at the start of the morning's hike. Usually comes off after a couple of hours. Because I use it for hiking, down is out. My choices are either a Marmot DriClime vest or a Patagonia NanoAir light hybrid vest. I have a down vest that I used to take for post hiking warmth. Old age (mine) rendered it obsolete, as I now need my down jacket for warmth at night.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

WM down vest has been basic element of my backcountry outfit for several years. Usually next to the last layer in the evening under my ul windbreaker. That way it stays clean when eating or if wearing when fishing or anything else where there is risk of getting dirty. Also wrap it around my air pillow inside my reversible clothes bag that is fleece lined and serves as my pillowcase--just as comfy as home.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A vest adds warmth without undue restriction to arms. This is pretty important when alpine rock climbing. Also, sleeves on some jackets (those tight ones used by climbers) limit layering of too many items with sleeves. Now that I am just backpacking, I instead take a light down sweater. I still have several vests: down, fleece and a florescent orange nylon one I use when hiking during hunting season. Sometimes I add the down vest in shoulder season. Fishermen also use vests with tons of little pockets.