Emergency Fire Starters

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Emergency Fire Starters

Post by maverick »

I have used some of these fire starters, in this article, in my pack over the past decades, but have ended up with the UCO's for the past several years. What are you currently using?
https://gearjunkie.com/best-camp-emerge ... re-starter
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Emergency Fire Starters

Post by markskor »

Along with the usual 2 - 3 bics, I carry a ferro rod, a small one that came with a Swiss Army tool card...just strike a knife across it.
Interesting that over the many years carried, I have only used it twice, just to see if I could start a fire that way. BTW, was easy.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Bic lighters 2-3 as well. In various places in the pack (stove stuff sack, pocket,etc.) I have a magnesium starter as well, but why? Your biggest concern is tinder and dry wood. 151 and white gas works as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

151 and white gas works as well.
Russ, I could see you now being a human blow torch with that 151. :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

I carry a mini bic, and a ferro rod/striker, along with some Vaseline impregnated cotton balls sealed up using this method:

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lrEdKDwlx-U" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

some Vaseline impregnated cotton balls
Have been carrying those in a old film canister for a long time. :nod:

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Can't imagine that multiple bics would fail at once. Except for cooking fish I generally view wood fire as a backup to stove failure. Also if I can light my stove, I could use that to start a wood fire in really nasty conditions if a fire is necessary. When a backcountry ranger I used to use my stove as a makeshift blowtorch for some repairs I had to make around the ranger station!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

maverick wrote:Have been carrying those in a old film canister for a long time. :nod:
What's a film canister? :lol:
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Strike anywhere wooden matches stored in a water tight container, a Light My Fire Mora fire knife, cotton/vasoline and a Bic. I have issues with the Bic--When my old arthritic hands are cold, I have trouble flicking the wheel and anything I want to light is on the ground so the flame curls up and burns my fingers. Great for lighting cigarettes or whatever else you want to smoke though.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I carry what my Boy Scouts do: a small "kit" containing a mini Bic, several UCO matches and a striker, two straws with petroleum jellied cotton in them, either lint or half of a cotton tampon, and two "birthday candles".

We tend to have another mini bic stashed with each stove, however many there may be, but when combined with a sharp knife this kit has proven itself many times. We use tins, like from altoids mints, and then put stickers inside each half, one with reminder instructions and list of contents, and the other with personal info and emergency contacts. It isn't waterproof, but it's light, compact and csn be used as a hexamine stove if need be.