Emergency Fire Starters

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Emergency Fire Starters

Post by ericZ »

I made some of those paraffin wax soaked cotton balls, and cotton discs for makeup removal also soaked with wax. i put the balls into an empty egg carton first, and then cut them up into individual pods. they worked great. well, so i'm told. my buddy grabbed them from me and lit every fire we had last year so quickly, i think i saw it done only once. he must be a bit of a pyromaniac. I'm thinking of getting some of the UCO matches. I also carry at least two Bics, a mini and a standard.

eric
fresno, ca.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Emergency Fire Starters

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Bic lighter, magnesium fire starter, and dryer lint for tender. I've yet to need it in the woods, but I started a fire in the backyard to make sure I could (with the magnesium fire starter, not the lighter; I was fairly certain I had sufficient practice with that to light something). I used to carry water proof matches, and probably have a few loose in my emergency kit still.