SPOT'S FOR 50% OFF SALE

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SPOT'S FOR 50% OFF SALE

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Re: SPOT'S FOR 50% OFF SALE

Post by LMBSGV »

I suspect this sale is to get rid of an over-supply of SPOT 3's before coming out with the rumored SPOT 4 with text messaging to compete with the InReach. The price of the new version will be an interesting bit of marketing positioning. And will they offer current SPOT owners a big introductory discount?
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
scipio
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by scipio »

There is a SPOT 4 with text messaging coming out? I have an InReach and it is great for convenience but it is so bulky. Here's hoping SPOT's version is smaller and lighter...
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

If Spot is going 2-way to compete with the InReach (which I have), then they may also be changing satellite networks. Currently, Spot uses Globalstar, whereas InReach uses Iridium. If it requires more (battery) power to utilize Iridium/2-way, then that's where the bulk & weight comes in. There's no magic - batteries are batteries within the same type/class.

I also have to wonder how long Spot may be around. Both Spot (Louisiana) and DeLorme (Maine) are/were small private companies that seemed to have developed from maritime PLBs. It's not a mystery why Garmin decided to acquire DeLorme rather than Spot. The technology was always moving towards 2-way.

Btw, for those of us of an older persuasion, both Globalstar & Iridium were huge monetary sinks losing $billions of dollars back when they were first launched in the early 90s. If you recall, people thought that request/respond satellite communications were the next "big thing". However, alternative communication technologies like cell phones, wi-fi, etc, that could deliver huge bandwidth over local jumps put the kaboosh on those plans.

So, here we have all of these super low-tech, low bandwidth (think teletype speed) satellites orbiting around taking up space. Credit the PLBs and other smart technology companies that realized this existing network could be used to deliver really cheap (but slow) messaging services anywhere in the world. Especially maritime, where there's lots of water, but not many cell towers. LOL
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Don't forget to review the offered plans from Garmin and Spot. My Delorme is currently dormant and I don't get charged. I turn it on when I plan a trip that isn't on a busy trail. Very convenient.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

If any of the regulars are looking to pick up a spot LMK. I'm going to be getting rid of my Gen 3 since I replaced it with an Inreach last summer. Its' been collecting dust for the past 6 months. Purchased new in Dec 2015. Will sell it for a bit more than half of what they are asking for a new one, with the current half off discount.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

IMO, used electronics are like (well) used surfboards - essentially worthless. Technology changes so fast that it renders previous models only a few years old obsolete. We had a drawer full of cell & smart phones, because we kept them every time we'd upgrade. Between the desire to have back ups if one was stolen/lost, or giving them to parents unwilling to spring for new, over time we managed quite a collection. Finally, the drawer got so full, along with chargers, cables, etc, that we just dumped the whole lot.

On a backpacking related note, due to China trade and cheap synthetic insulation, it's often times easier/cheaper to just roll into Wally, grab a sleeping bag, abuse it, and leave it behind. We were camping next to/talking to a seasonal NP ranger @ Joshua tree last month who mentioned this can be quite a problem at some locations known for attracting different types of crowds.

So, the rapid race forward & discard cultural phenomenon isn't only restricted to electronics & tech.
DannyL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Garmin Inreach Explorer Plus

Post by DannyL »

Looking for some feedback on ease of use texting, battery life, etc.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Here's the new SPOT to compete with the InReach.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

There's no information regarding current users of a SPOT such as discounts, transfer or cancellation of existing service plans, etc.

LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I emailed and phoned SPOT regarding the SPOT X and learned a couple of interesting details. First, the “Check-in” message does not count as a text message. In other words, if one limits the two-way text messages, it’s relatively easy to subscribe to the cheaper “Weekender” (300 messages/year) rate.

Secondly, one can receive “pro-rated refund “ when one deactivates their existing SPOT and activates the SPOT X.

Finally, they won’t actually be available for another 2-4 weeks.

And if you want an InReach Explorer, the REI Anniversary sale has them for $375.