15F Sleeping Bag Practical for Everything, 30F Bag Worth It?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

15F Sleeping Bag Practical for Everything, 30F Bag Worth It?

Post by powderhound »

Is a 15F bag reasonable as a do-everything sleeping bag? Would a 30F bag be practical as a second bag? I just ordered a Marmot Helium 15F on sale, and have concerns over being too warm. I know it's a good temp for high elevation and can double as winter bag if I layer in it (the two main reasons I chose it), but I'm a warm sleeper don't want to melt if I don't have to. Will a 30F bag (Hydrogen) be that much cooler on warm nights, or am I going to be too hot with a down bag on those nights regardless? I'm keeping the Helium, I'm just not sure if it's worth it to snag a Hydrogen while it's on sale as I've never used either a 15F or 30F bag...
ndpanda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 15F Sleeping Bag Practical for Everything, 30F Bag Worth

Post by ndpanda »

I sleep warm too. If I mostly cowboy camped above timberline by myself I suppose a 15F bag might pass as a do-everything choice, but I’m almost always in a double walled tent with a companion during summer and shoulder season trips. Makes a big difference warmth-wise; a 15F bag is misery for me outside of winter. I prefer to carry a lighter bag and layer up if there’s a cold snap. If you’re tarp camping on your own, though, the extra insulation might be welcome as often as not. The best choice for you really depends on your hiking/camping style.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

go with the 15F bag.. just unzip if too warm. It'll save you sometime.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

It will save you some weight to buy a second, lighter bag. If you're a really warm sleeper you might find the 15°F bag is uncomfortable on warm nights. Otherwise it should work fine, although it may come up short on winter trips.

For years I had only one bag, a 5°F bag that I used in all seasons, on bicycle tours, even in hostels. When it was warm I'd just open it up. In really cold conditions I added an overbag and extra clothes. For a long time it worked for me.

Now I have six bags.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I have a Helium 15* and a LaFuma 30* bag. Use the 30* more, I'm a warm sleeper. It is nice to have the 15* for colder conditions or when using my bivy sack. With my Klymit insulated pad, I'm usually nice and toasty.

Watch the zipper on the Helium, mine constantly snagged material and eventually had to be replaced, still way too easy to snag material with replaced zipper too. My (much) less expensive LaFuma has never snagged material, similar design, and it's several seasons older. My one real complaint about the Marmot bag. You have to hand guide the zipper carefully each time, such a pain in the arse. Would I buy a Marmot Helium again? Probably not.

I do have a Marmot EOS 1P tent, which I really like.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One solution to the zipper stick problem is to sew a stiffer material to the side of the baffles that contacts the zipper, next to the zipper. You can get 1-inch rolls of edging at fabric stores. You would have to hand-sew it on. My WM bag has something like this incorporated in the zipper baffles that makes this area of the baffle a bit stiffer. There may be other methods which would work to stiffen the material a bit. I can almost always zip my WM bag one handed with no problem.

I would not pay that much attention to the temperature rating. Each brand of bags at the same temperature rating can vary considerably in actual comfort range. Also, 30-degree bags rarely have draft collars, which are essential in colder temperatures. A tighter fitting bag will generally be warmer than a loose fitting bag for the same temperature rating. If you are looking for something to only be used mid-summer why not look into a blanket instead of bag. They are lighter and generally cost less than a bag, and are a good additional item if you still want at 15 degree bag for colder conditions.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

powderhound wrote:Is a 15F bag reasonable as a do-everything sleeping bag? I just ordered a Marmot Helium 15F ... I've never used either a 15F or 30F bag...
For what it's worth.
After my WM Apache was taken at camp 4 (long story and years ago), I tried/ settled for the Helium as a cheaper replacement, and while a good bag, was not close to the accustom WM standard. After some "sale" surfing, upgraded again to WM (only a few dollars more?)...my Badger. Rated at 15º, this has been my go-to bag the last 15 years for all things Sierra. I only use one bag,
Seldom zipped (used more as a quilt mostly) still glad to have it those times when really needed.
YMMV.
Mountainman who swims with trout