Bear Can, What do you like ?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

"If you find the perfect campsite, and next to the obvious place to pitch your tent you find a small pile of pitching-sized rocks ... maybe camp somewhere else!"

Alternatively, maybe, since the rock pile is still there...no bears showed.

Glad you admit to using a can Cmon; I apologize - however...a few years past, up at Kearsarge Pass, (before the bearcan rules), one night camped above timberline; we stashed our food bags under a giant cairn and slept with one eye open...ready, armed with a granite aplenty.
Sometime in the early evening, the biggest bear I ever saw wandered by, destroying our rock pile...we fired.
The entire party pelted it with boulders...I hit it hard in the chest with a 10-pounder, others too - rapid fire. It just looked at us, turned back to the cairn, and walked away with a food bag.
Mountainman who swims with trout
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Gary:

I hope you get some use out of it. I've been slowly giving away some of the gear I don't use - it's a shame to just see it sitting unused here at my house. Just because something doesn't work for me doesn't mean it's not perfect for someone else.

Kathy