HST Community      Bear Canister capacity

Bear Canister capacity | High Sierra Topix  

Bear Canister capacity

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Re: Bear Canister capacity

Postby Wandering Daisy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Are you sure you were not sneaking some of Rogue's food?

That metabolism may be great for backpacking, but watch out when you get old! You may pack on the pounds then when you exercise less.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Postby alpinemike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 pm

I have been known to scavenge off of Rogue's food quite a bit but all in all it isn't very much in terms of calories.

I am definitely aware of gaining weight.. I hope to be able to keep exercising through my old age in the best possible form I know how... backpacking!

And to answer the question of an alpine belly... not quite sure what that means but I'm fairly skinny with a small belly.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/
alpinemike
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby longri » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 am

Alpine belly is an old term. It just means carrying a reserve of fat that can be utilized like a camel's hump. It doesn't mean someone is obese, just that they have some extra, and on men that often presents itself in the belly region. On women I suppose it would "alpine hips" or "alpine ass".

It's not always obvious though. Many skinny people carry a kind of invisible fat in their abdomens, "visceral" fat. It's been in the news recently because of the risks associated with it (cardiovascular, metabolic, cancer).

Without actually measuring your body fat it would be hard to know. But either way it sounds like you have a lower than average base metabolism. That's a big advantage on long mountain trips, but potentially an issue in city life where food is overly abundant and tends to be highly caloric.

I've always had the opposite problem. I'm adapted to a world where there's a food source every 50 feet.
longri
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix