Dolida sun/bug hat with detachable neck drape

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Dolida sun/bug hat with detachable neck drape

Post by SSSdave »

For the past couple decades have been wearing a Dorfman Pacific sun hat with a detachable neck drape. For this person just as important as sun protection is keeping mosquitoes and black flies off me. I am rather notorious for being out in bug season and a good bug hat is the most important piece of clothing. And note as someone that covers up all my skin except for face that gets 100% DEET, outside the top of my hands and wrists due to frequent washing in order to keep oil off my camera gear, I rarely get bit even when squeeters are thick. The DP model has not been available for several years so today looked around quite a while to see what is available. I just ordered the below hat that is only $12 including shipping and tax.

There have always been billed sun hats with neck drapes however almost all such hats tended to have drapes that cannot be removed say when it gets hot and one is hiking in shade where bugs are not an issue. Also is the issue of a neck strap if one is constantly flipping the hat off for photography or in breezy conditions as this model has a strap too. Besides the neck drape, the hat also has a detachable face sun guard that seems to be a new feature on some hats. Probably will not use that much but will see. There is also a snap on the front of the neck drape to close it towards the front. Just one color choice with the light grey being fine to this person. Be sure to mouse over product views for the optional ways it can be worn.

https://www.amazon.com/protection-Dolid ... dp_s_cp_42
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dolida sun/bug hat with detachable neck drape

Post by rlown »

how does that work with prescription glasses?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Nothing on the hat ought to interfere with a person's ears in order to put on eyeglasses. The drape would just be hanging loose on the side on one's head. This ought to be very similar to the hat I now use. The only difference is the face screen that I d0ubt one would ever need to use in the Sierra Nevada. Maybe someplace like the Sahara Desert with lots of reflection up from the ground or this year hiking through vast expanses of summer snowfields. In fact I expect to leave that at home. Now if that was placed high enough on the nose it could probably get in the way of vision.

Generally for bug use, if one is moving forward mosquitoes almost never land in front of a person's face so the face guard has no mosquito use. When hiking with a backpack, I complement such hat designs with a thin long sleeve nylon shell zippered in front that unless it is cold out is often nearly unzipped so I get ventilation in front. Note don't wear a t-shirt underneath unless it is cold out as that would only cause more sweating. Doing so, mosquitoes again also almost never land on my chest. They seem to have evolved an instinct for attacking a moving creatures ears and neck. Like they see eyes and then head around back where they will fly around until deciding to land. But if one sits down, yeah then they will land on one's face.

There are similar designs now with all around brim circular hats that include a neck drape. The floppy wad up ones seem to be quite popular. Without a neck drape they are cooler as a sun hat versus a front brim cap with a drape and because the brim extends out in all directions that should shade one's neck unlike a simple baseball style cap. The inclusion of a neck drape on that style thus only has function to keep bugs off.

In this era, anyone that just wears a traditional baseball style cap and complains about mosquitoes is really missing the most important piece of clothing to minimize bug bites.

David
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

KISS
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.