Advantages of a Smaller Pack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advantages of a Smaller Pack?

Post by AlmostThere »

A friend of mine made an ultralight pack that fits her Expedition horizontally on the bottom of the pack in a special compartment. It's a 60 liter or so pack.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have gone from a 60cc pack down to a 40cc pack to reduce weight under the impression that "if it's big, I will fill it". I must confess however, that I have not carried a bear can in years but if I went into an area that required it, would go back to the 60cc pack. I do carry a small UL day sack containing some fishing gear that I sometimes strap to the exterior of my pack.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is not just the volume of a pack. The suspension system has to match your load. In addition to volume, you need to determine the weight carried. Every pack I have bought is comfortable at far less weight than they say it will carry. A smaller pack will not work well if you really need the weight capacity as well as the volume because most smaller packs have suspension systems designed for very light loads, of around 30-35 pounds (even though they will say these are OK for 45 pounds).

Tying a bear can full of food on the outside of an internal frame pack rarely works well. Bear cans are designed to be slippery and of all things tied to the outside of a pack, more likely to fall off. It would be better to just buy one of those smaller Bear Vaults that work for 2-4 day trips.

I was very tempted to get a longer Bearikade since the cost is nearly the same as the weekender, but decided that I really did not want to carry more food than the weekender would carry anyway. I would rather just cut down on food and fish more! If the Bearikades were not so expensive I would buy a custom smaller one for shorter trips. Wouldn't it be great if someone invented an expandable multi-size bear can!
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by powderhound »

That's a good idea about Malt-O-Meal! I'll have to try it. I'm not a fan of oatmeal, so I've been eating Nature Valley Protein Granola with a bunch of powdered milk dumped in it to help fill the voids.

I fish, but it can be tricky if there is a fire ban. I've been leaving my pole at home to cut down on weight, but will probably bring a line and some flies and tie them to a stick if I find myself setting up camp early.

It's also not a bad idea to sew a custom pack to hold the bear can. I got an old sewing machine and have been starting to sew gear, but I'm not sure I can make anything with good suspension for heavier loads. I saw a decent but badly ripped internal frame pack with a good hip belt and shoulder straps at a thrift store for $4, kinda with I bought it so I could use the parts to make a pack.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

What she actually did was tear apart an old backpack she wore to pieces, re-used the frame and belt, and so the franken-pack has a top load of upwards of 40 lbs with lightweight pack bag. And I believe the food went in bags inside the main body of the pack, and the sleeping gear went in the can at the bottom.

I'd do that with an old Granite Gear pack if only I were handier with the sewing machine.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

powderhound wrote: I fish, but it can be tricky if there is a fire ban. I've been leaving my pole at home to cut down on weight, but will probably bring a line and some flies and tie them to a stick if I find myself setting up camp early.

Buck it up a bit.. Bring the pan and your stove and enjoy that rod and fish meal: http://www.highsierratopix.com/culinary ... g-methods/

Good luck on finding a dead stick that'll work.. And don't even cut off a green stick.. [-X

Everything said about suspension systems relative to pack weight is of the most importance.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Good luck on finding a dead stick that'll work..
I've done this many times, and been successful, on small creeks. With and without a makeshift pole.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Tenkara
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a rod and reel weighs 12 oz. I'm not seeing the issue in carrying one rather than looking for sticks. The pan outweighs the rod/reel, but above fireline, that is what you do.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Well, I guess YMMV.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix