How many use tent footprints?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How many use tent footprints?

Post by Tom_H »

I always used something-polypropylene, Tyvek, or a footprint. It not only protects the investment, but acts as a vapor barrier, preventing ground moisture from being wicked upward and keeping sleep gear dry. Moisture wicked up out of the ground induces loss of insulative ability and adds to the weight you carry when you break camp.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Tyvek 1443r (also called "kite Tyvek") is slightly lighter than standard silnylon and about 2/3 the weight of common house wrap Tyvek. I like 1443r because it is soft after a few uses, folds easily, and more compact than the house wrap variety. It is also logo-free on both sides. =D>
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Ska-T wrote:Tyvek 1443r (also called "kite Tyvek") is slightly lighter than standard silnylon and about 2/3 the weight of common house wrap Tyvek. I like 1443r because it is soft after a few uses, folds easily, and more compact than the house wrap variety. It is also logo-free on both sides. =D>
I have a tarptent made of kite tyvek. 14 oz - but not waterproof by any means.

A friend uses weedblock fabric from the garden center, very light and noiseless. Footprints don't have to be waterproof.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I switched from Tyvek to Polycryo a few years ago. http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-tent-g ... ction.html
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

AlmostThere wrote:A friend uses weedblock fabric from the garden center, very light and noiseless. Footprints don't have to be waterproof.
I wonder what that weighs!
I tried polycryo many years ago, but didn't like it in part because of its tendency to rip due to the rocks I place at each corner to hold down the ground cloth when sleeping roofless, which is most of the time.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Ska-T wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:A friend uses weedblock fabric from the garden center, very light and noiseless. Footprints don't have to be waterproof.
I wonder what that weighs!
I tried polycryo many years ago, but didn't like it in part because of its tendency to rip due to the rocks I place at each corner to hold down the ground cloth when sleeping roofless, which is most of the time.
It wasn't much. And it was a whole lot easier to roll and fold -- very pliable from the get go. If my tyvek ever bites it I'll probably get some. I also have a couple of sheets of polycryo, but usually use tyvek because it doesn't get wadded and stuck to itself.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I wonder if weedblock fabric grips the silnylon floor better than Tyvek? It also wouldn't trap water between the two layers so it wouldn't have to be cut to an exact footprint.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I don't think I've ever used a footprint. I guess I try and make sure I don't camp on things that would puncture my tent floor which is more often than not off trail cross country areas. And I've found all the standard tent manufacturers make quite durable tent floors.

I really do believe it's extra weight for how I backpack but I also don't bring a fly or tarp only. I use a cut trashbag as my floor for my winter tent (a MLD Duomid) and my Hexamid. Works out fine for those.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;