Skin cancer and face protection,masks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Skin cancer and face protection,masks

Post by DAVELA »

Interested in what you folks use to protect your faces from the sun other than messy lotions.
I use a wide brim hat coupled with bandanas but i am trying to figure out a simpler less cumbersome arrangement as most bandanas are too short and the knot bumps into the hat causing the bandana to loosen back there.Also a bandana pressed against your face can be sweaty.
Do any of you use those 'buffs' that look like a neck gaiter that pulls over the face?Are they sweaty?Do they block the sun well?

For a diy project what is a good spf material? I am thinking of something that clips onto and hangs from the brim of the hat so the face is cool and comfy.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Skin cancer and face protection,masks

Post by balzaccom »

Big hat and sunscreen...but I should probably do more, particularly in areas with a lot of exposed granite. Reflected sunlight is still sunlight, and the hat doesn't do much against light coming up from below.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I use a Buff (rainbow trout pattern to be exact) and have used it over the past couple years while hiking, fishing, working outside, etc, in combination with a baseball hat and sunglasses . I have/had skin cancers on my face and this does provide a good deal of protection. It does breathe fairly well for something that covers your skin. Only negatives, it does pill up in high wear areas (mouth) and it will rise up exposing the back of your neck at the shirt line if you do not tuck it in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote:Big hat and sunscreen...but I should probably do more, particularly in areas with a lot of exposed granite. Reflected sunlight is still sunlight, and the hat doesn't do much against light coming up from below.
This is the best strategy.. The hoodie seems beyond what I want to wear. Besides, I'm 55.. Been exposed to excessive sun since I was 6.. At least 6 summers in Minnesota at Lake Minnetonka. All we had was Coppertone, but were in the water every day. Then, the Sierra.. bain de soleil SPF 2 doesn't cut it with snow on the ground. That was fun at Whitesides meadow.. Also a little blind after that so it became a layover day at the middle wire lk in Emigrant. There were other sun experiences..

Not that I wish melanoma on anyone, but slather on the sun screen, wear the big hat, long sleeves, long pants. It's as good as it gets. (Maybe even grow a beard :) )
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

My experience with sunscreen is that it has to be re applied a lot; is messy;not 100% effective.Its a messy pain in the butt.This is why i want to create a screen that attaches to the brim so my face is pritected fully;not slimy;comfy and cool.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

In my younger days I grew out a full beard. These days just a goatee, polarized sunglasses, a vented hat, and sun block. Anything more is too hot for me.

I don't find Bullfrog quick gel to be slimy or messy. Twice a day works for my light skin type as long as I get some tan before I go.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like that one as well..
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I use the spray on stuff, like Banana Boat Sport. Having had issues with skin cancer, I apply the stuff liberally and it doesn't create a mess and doesn't sting my eyes at all. Usually one application is good for a long day hike.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I use one of the safe sunscreens from the not-causing-cancer list (see http://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-sunsc ... unscreens/) usually CeraVe, it isn't greasy. And a Sunday Afternoons hat -- the one with the broadest brim and the neck cover.