Broken tent poles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Broken tent poles

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I broke a tent pole (the end that where one piece slips into the other snapped). The tent is a Copper Spur, but it was given to me and I do not know where it was bought. Does REI send these in (without proof of sales) or should I contact Big Agnes directly?

This is the first time I ever had a broken tent pole. It broke when I was setting up the tent in the wind. It was probably "operator error" on my part. I felt stress on the pole (the wind really caught the tent), but it was not enough that I thought it should break. Is this common in Big Agnes tents? It was a real PITA- could not splint it as it was too close to the hub, so had to lash it with cord and then do some creative guylining to get the tent to stand up.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Broken tent poles

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I broke a tent pole (the end that where one piece slips into the other snapped). The tent is a Copper Spur, but it was given to me and I do not know where it was bought. Does REI send these in (without proof of sales) or should I contact Big Agnes directly?

This is the first time I ever had a broken tent pole. It broke when I was setting up the tent in the wind. It was probably "operator error" on my part. I felt stress on the pole (the wind really caught the tent), but it was not enough that I thought it should break. Is this common in Big Agnes tents? It was a real PITA- could not splint it as it was too close to the hub, so had to lash it with cord and then do some creative guylining to get the tent to stand up.
contact both REI and Big Agnes.. you'll probably get a better response from the latter..
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Contact Big Agnes. I saw this exact questions on REI website yesterday and they suggested the same.
Love the Copper Spur. Did you break the cross beam pole or the larger pole system?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Unfortunately the main pole, on the toe end right next to the hub. Thanks for the information.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Haven't had a pole break, but they replace a tent stuff sack for like $8 or something. Don't seem to gouge ...
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I bought the new CS2 specifically because of the new central hub system. That is, all four poles now radiate from one central hub, in effect creating a virtual arrangement of hoops both lengthwise and across. This is compared to the older front, spine and rear hub system - you can see the older version on the HST splash page.

I chose the 2 man for this reason as well; the new 1 person CS still uses the front, spine, rear pole system. Both the BA Fly creek and the Nemo tents also use a front, spine, rear set-up. My guess is that the new central hub for the 2 man CS is a nod to 4 season tents that use integrated hoops. That is, the spine & separate hubs are the weak points on the older versions because it concentrates flex at each end of the tent, rather than transfer spring action among all four corners from one central hub.

All that being said, I can't imagine a return and/or replacement being a major deal. For example, I had a leak in my Neo xlite that I couldn't trace. I sent it back to Cascades designs and they fixed it without charge. I'm assuming Big Agnes has a similar level of customer service.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

WD,

You can also try this place:
www.tentpoletechnologies.com/

They repaired a friend's old tent from the 1970's, so they should be able to fix yours.

John
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

I think I have a Copper Spur in my PODS storage unit, but that's all packed away until we move to the new house in WA in Oct. I won't be using it any more. Contact me by PM or email if you want it for peanuts. Better you use it than it sit in my new basement and rot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Got my tent poles back. Good service from BA, if a bit slow. Total cost $3 plus shipping. What impressed me that you get a real person when you call about things. They were also very responsive with e-mails.