Petzl Leopard FL crampons

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Petzl Leopard FL crampons

Post by fishmonger »

I am looking at getting two pairs of these ultra light strap on crampons for July this year, doing the JMT with some side trips, peak bagging, etc. Anyone here have first hand experience with these crampons? They seem to be the lightest in the segment, but also pretty expensive, especially when you need to buy two sets...

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Crampons/LEOPARD-FL
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Petzl Leopard FL crampons

Post by Hobbes »

I would use micro spikes for the JMT. They work perfectly in mixed snow/rock, especially when the trail is heavily compressed - as it will be in July. Crampons would work better for peak bagging, but would be a hassle once the snow trail was tracked by 1000s of (PCT) hikers. That is, you can keep spikes on through dry patches, or even lots of rocks sticking above snow, but (hiking) crampons might require a lot of on/off.

If you decide to go with hiking crampons, people who move up from Kahtoola spikes to their crampons seem to like them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

They seem to be the lightest in the segment, but also pretty expensive, especially when you need to buy two sets
Especially at that price. :unibrow:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11017
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Hobbes wrote:I would use micro spikes for the JMT. They work perfectly in mixed snow/rock, especially when the trail is heavily compressed - as it will be in July. Crampons would work better for peak bagging, but would be a hassle once the snow trail was tracked by 1000s of (PCT) hikers. That is, you can keep spikes on through dry patches, or even lots of rocks sticking above snow, but (hiking) crampons might require a lot of on/off.
I've done the whole thing in early season 2010 without any traction device and lived to tell the story. Looking back, there are many miles with mixed conditions where the crampons are irrelevant anyway. All I care about are the early mornings or shady steep north slopes like Mather. It gets gnarly up to Black Giant, and it could be sketchy down into Le Conte below Helen Lake (never follow those silly PCT tracks unless you like deadly snow bridges). Getting across (to me unknown) Junction Pass may be one of those places we want the proper grip, or up the ridge to the top of Mount Barnard that may have some pretty big drifts. Then there will be a cross country slog through 60 Lakes Basin out the top directly to Glen Pass with a steep final north skope. Anywhere else, these will be dangling from my pack at best. Where I expect to need them, microspikes won't do me much good over my (proper) boots that can kick some steps in anything but frozen snow.

will have a look at the Kathoola crampons - didn't come up when searching for lightweight crampons. Edit - just checked - 608 grams vs 340 grams for the Leopards. I already have some solid and proven steel Petzl Vasak crampons that are 840g. Dropping a whole pound, though, that is significant.

the competitors in this field are (adding in the Kathoolas)

Kathoola K10 1 lbs 5.5 oz ($100 out of stock)
CAMP XLC 490 1 lbs 5 oz ($120)
Black Diamond Neve 1 lbs 4 oz ($115)
Grivel Air Tech Light 1 lbs 1 oz ($132 on sale)
Petzl Leopard FL - 12 oz ($170 list)

On and off is going to be the theme of the year anyway, except for shoes. There will be countless deep water crossings that normally are just depressions in the terrain.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Crampons are a PITA. I did Roper's High Route in 2010 and chose not to take crampons (I have some light ones like those shown). I had to sit and wait 3-4 times for the sun to soften the snow enough to continue (once it took 3 hours and I also waited until someone else broke the trail for the day) and had to do one detour. A hiking boot/shoe with an agressive tread is helpful. Even on the less-used High Route there were plenty of tracks in the snow that helped. On the JMT, the PCT hikers make a pretty good track to follow. You have to decide if you are willing to detour, wait, or perhaps go an entirely different route if the snow becomes dangerous without crampons. One thing to consider is that you can go faster with crampons or micro-spikes. When I take my crampons, I compensate by taking a bit less food every day and carry less water (if there is snow you can melt water along the way). Also, when I take the crampons, I use them more than needed because it frustrates me to carry stuff that I do not use! Since I already own crampons, if I feel I need traction this summer, I will buy micro-spikes (I have been looking for an excuse to buy some).

You need to practice and know how to use crampons. Improperly used, then can make it even more dangerous. On hard exposed slopes you also need an ice axe. I often purposely do not take crampons or ice axe simply because I will then not try to do something stupid. It is critical to know exactly when to strap up with crampons. Many accidents on snow are caused by failing to put the crampons on at the proper moment. Using crampons is a mountaineering skill. Simply having and using the equipment does not necessarily make you safer. Micro-spikes are a lot more user-friendly than crampons.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

No worries - I've used crampons before. In fact, I have worn out two sets of steel crampons over the last three decades. My son will get proper training the first time we hit steep snow (clouds Rest? Koip Peak?). The only thing that really sucks about crampons is their weight when not in use, and maybe to a lesser extent something called balling, like here with my current pair of (anti-balling plate equipped, heavy steel) Petzl Vasaks at Trail Camp on Mt. Whitney:

I'd be surprised if we run into balling conditions in July, though :) Mixed terrain isn't so bad if you have solid boots on your feet. Just don't kick yourself into your own legs. I usually need a mile or two to get the proper feel again.

I expect to use these lightweight crampons for years to come whenever the big boys are overkill. They will be great for ski touring, and maybe even useful for lawn aeration. :)

These things are $75 on Amazon!

I'll report later this fall how the Petzl Leopards did in the Sierra and perhaps also on my lawn.