Duck Down vs Goose Down

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Duck Down vs Goose Down

Post by paul »

WD- you are probably thinking of the EN rating. And yes, if the manufacturer uses EN ratings it's nice because then you can make as close to a direct comparison between bags as you are going to get. I wish more manufacturers would use it.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

If I were you (but I'm not) I would look at the WM extreme lite series and figure out which one fits your needs. 5'6" bags that I would consider are between 1lb 2 oz and 1 lb 14 oz. Cough up the bucks and you will be a happy camper. Sell all the stuff you are down sizing and you will put a significant dent in the cost of these well made bags!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

I just picked up a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 sporting 800 fill goose down. $230 new with tags on fleabay (for a $530 bag). Love it. Fills a gap between my 30F and 0F bags. Super light, almost the same weight as the old REI Sub Kilo 30F but roomy and better fabrics. No zipper snags, great hood. Looking forward to testing it this July at high elevations where the old Sub Kio would bring me some chilly nights.

I was looking at the 900 fill ultra light bags, but the cost increases exponentially, while the fabrics get less durable. Ultra light bags also are cut too narrow for comfort, and many will only have short zippers, making the less usable for warm Sierra nights. There seems to be a point where saving ounces to be "the lightest" in the market segment begins to sacrifice features I demand from a bag. For a one night trip maybe, but not for longer excursions where the comfort of the bag becomes a very important factor for enjoying myself.

I don't think I have a single bag with duck down, but I have a cheap down vest that has duck fill. Never noticed any smell, but I guess I never got it damp yet.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

My quilts don't have zippers, yet I do just fine. The myths continue to exist, though.

800 fp seems to be the price point -- I do fine with it and have been unwilling to pay many dollars more to save that last ounce.