Do Old Delorme Inreaches Still Work?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Do Old Delorme Inreaches Still Work?

Post by BSquared »

What do people who own older Delorme Inreach units have to say about using them now that Garmin has bought Delorme? I've heard that hardware support for the older units is nonexistent, but that's not terribly surprising; presumably most of the Delorme units are thoroughly out of warranty by now. But how about the communication itself and the Internet interfaces that Garmin now owns? I'm thinking of saving some cash by purchasing a used InReach, but I want to be sure it'll still work in the Garmin world.
—B²
Bill21
Topix Novice

Re: Do Old Delorme Inreaches Still Work?

Post by Bill21 »

A friend gave me a used Inreach SE last October and it works fine. Didn't use it much last year, plan more solo backpack trips this season. Seems to work fine with both the DeLorme Earthmate app and Gaia app on my iPhone.
"I've heard that hardware support for the older units is nonexistent". If by hardware support you mean repair of the hardware, I wouldn't know as I've never sent it in for repair.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, Bill! Exactly what I was looking for. And yes, I meant sending it back for repair.

I'll start checking eBay in earnest now ;)
—B²
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

I had an SE i bought from Ebay. Seemed to have a slow battery drain.Didn't know any different as it was used Gave it to a local HAM guy. Did a few checks and it was draining slow even in the off mode. A few calls to Delorme (very responsive) said the could replace the battery $50...NOT that fast of a drain,,,,
The night of a trip I reactivated it, Left it on the roof of the car and went a mile into my neighborhood. Lost it and couldn't connect to it via bluetooth on the route I took.
Amazoned a new one and had it delivered to my flight destination. Picked it up and within 20 mins and they changed the imei/service was transferred. Worked flawless. Put it away. 5 months after turning the power off it had 85% battery. So I'm good to go this season.
Case in point they will support hardware for the SE; so I'm pretty sure for the older one too, Give 'em a call. IMHO Blue ribbon all smileyfaces customer support and product,
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Fan-doodly-tastic! Thanks!
—B²