Anybody Know a Seamstress?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anybody Know a Seamstress?

Post by Vaca Russ »

Some of you may remember what Santa brought me in 2014:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12154
2[1].JPG
Well, those same puppies taught me a lesson.

Yesterday, I naively left out this WM bag to "Air out".
Bag 1.JPG
Bag 2.JPG
Bag 3.JPG
My voice must have been quite loud and the tone very angry when I came home to find this mess. I soon realized one of my girls was literally shaking in fear.
Dogs 1.JPG
I immediately felt horrible and realized it was my fault for leaving out such a nice place to "nest".
Dogs 2.JPG
I cleaned up the mess but have yet to repair the damage. This is a WM PUMA!

I was thinking of taking it to the cleaners to have them stitch up the HUGE rip in the lining. Does anybody else have a better recommendation?

BTW, I did feel really bad about yelling and apologized to my little girls.

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Anybody Know a Seamstress?

Post by markskor »

Too good to leave for a hack - that's quality gear.
Suggest sending the bag in to WM directly for an quick overstuff and repair. Prices for services are reasonable...know what they are doing too.

Here in Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Mountaineering on Old Mammoth road (google for tel. number) - is a WM authorized dealer... has WM's repair shop tel # - shipping address.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A Puma :eek:

Call WM customer service at 408-287-8944, they are located at 1025 South 5th Street, San Jose.
Like Mark said, don't let just anyone attempt to repair it, I have a few bags from them and would never allow anyone else but them to do any repair service to my bags.

PS They are charging $50 for the first damaged baffle and $30 for the subsequent ones + shipping.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And yet, the little red dog toy is intact. You have better luck with dog toys. My JRT has 3 faves left. Got rid of the other 60+ that were ruined. Never thought of a WM being a dog toy, but your pics make it look like a pillow fight. I do agree it wasn't their fault. I've seen the shivering before with mine. Didn't have to say a word, and you could tell who was the most guilty. Still, they are our best friends.

Good luck on your repair.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Well, I assume they had a great cozy nap. WM never fails.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Isn't that a $800-$900 bag?!?!?!?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mid $900 after taxes for the MF, which it looks like, over a $1000 after taxes for the GWS. Great bags are worth every penny. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

maverick wrote:Great bags
Yep, I love my Apache.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Ouch! Good luck!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

TahoeJeff wrote:Isn't that a $800-$900 bag?!?!?!?
Yes, Jeff. It is a (6' 6") GWS. It was a gift. :)

Thanks so much to Mark for helping me head in the right direction while in a state of emotional trauma. :nod:

Thanks to Maverick for the phone number. I spoke with John@WesternMountaineering.com and he assured me it can be returned to new condition.

Yes, Russ. That is one of their MANY toys. They do routinely go through toys as well. They are Jacks and VERY high energy, but very loving (to the right people). I do love them like my own little girls.

And I also love my big girl, Anne. Like I tell them...She is the human girl that I love. :nod:
Happy Anne2.jpg
Thanks for all the help,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.