MY Trail Down Jackets Question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Softstep
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

MY Trail Down Jackets Question

Post by Softstep »

Hi folks,
Im wondering if any of you have experience with their gear. They are advertising 800 fill down jackets at $99
Ive seen some of their other gear that seems over priced a bit on the flip side, so wondering about the quality etc/
Thank you
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MY Trail Down Jackets Question

Post by maverick »

This company was formerly known as Golite, they made quality gear, have not purchased any of their gear under their new name.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

All the low end down jackets are about the same -- you can see comparable jackets on Sierra Trading Post for ~$80 or even less with some of their email deal flyer coupons. Sewn through instead of baffled, maybe good to freezing temps, packable. Maybe 1/2 - 1 inch of loft or so.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Basin and Range is Backcountry.com's in-house label. Just as REI makes its own, lower priced label to compete with name-brand labels, this is Backcountry.com's go at it. Never tried anything of the label, but most likely of decent quality - judging solely by the store's reputation and service overall. And in case it was not clear, Steep and Cheap is Backcountry.com's online outlet website.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

It's a good time of year for down jackets.
http://www.ems.com/ems-winter-jackets-a ... il02032017
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

I just bought the EMS Feather Pack Jacket at the store. I had a 20% coupon, and the jacket had been reduced to $79, so I walked out of there having paid $62 for a $200 jacket. It looks well made, and only weighs 13 ounces. Hard to beat that deal.
Softstep
Topix Novice

Post by Softstep »

Thank you for the responses, very helpful