Marmot Ion 20F vs Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20F bags

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Marmot Ion 20F vs Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20F bags

Post by powderhound »

Does anyone have any experience with the Marmot Ion sleeping bag? Any opinions on how it would compare to the Western Mountaineering Ultralite? Both are 20 degree bags advertised at 1lb 13oz. The Marmot is down on top with synthetic on the bottom, whereas the WM is all down insulation. The Marmot is roomier though, which is the main reason I'm looking at it (also it's cheaper). Would the Marmot Ion be as warm or as durable as the Western Mountaineering Ultralite?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Marmot Ion 20F vs Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20F b

Post by AlmostThere »

If the Ion is the same weight with synthetic on one side, I'd seriously question the rating.

I'd take the WM, no questions asked, if those are my only choices.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I'd say it depends how you sleep! If you don't roll around much and the bottom of your bag always remains on the bottom then the Marmot might be the right choice. If you are like me half the time I wake up and the bottom of my WM bag is on top. I need down all the way around!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I bought the ION online. It was money savings over WM. I liked it a fair bit, tried it out at home a bit. Crawled in and out a lot and just rested a number of times. It was a very nice bag, but the foot box wound up tapering way too much for my style. It was just too tight for my liking, plus I disliked the zipper being on opposite side of where I sleep so would alwys have to turn to unzip. YMMV depending on what side you prefer to sleep on. I still really liked and price point Igot was good so did not rule it out. But then I ordered WM. It just worked. Immediately, felt way more cozy, comfy and the zipper was on the side I preferred. I wound up returning Ion and kept the WM. Got into back country w/ WM for ~10 nights last summer up in Sierra and loved it. Super cozy, packed down fairly well, and kept me solidly warm w/ or w/out added layers, depending on the temps. Never before had I tossed less and slept harder than I did w/ using the WM. I am convinced I would have been fine, but somewhat frustrated w/ Ion. I just knew if I was making a later-in-life run to backpack the Sierra, I should just upgrade to the perfect bag from day one. I made right choice. If $$$ is feasible, get the WM.
steiny98
Topix Regular

Post by steiny98 »

Agreed- I think that spending the money on the better bag is worth it.

I have never used the ones spelled out above, but I have a few recommendations at a lower price point in a similar weight class. However, these are quilts, which I prefer.

1) Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller. This is the bag I use. I got it with 2 ounces of extra down and absolutely love it. It is a bit heavier than other bags though.
2) Enlightened Equipment Enigma. My friend has this bag and it works very well. Only complaint he has had is that there are vertical baffles which can lead to the down shifting down in the middle of the night.
3) Z Packs has a 20 degree bag coming in around 19 oz at under $400. No experience using it, but they have a great reputation.

One other comment, not completely related, is that I view sleeping bags as part of a "sleep system" in which I will oftentimes use other clothing to stay warm during the night. You can achieve lighter weights by considering using your down jacket or long underwear when sleeping. I'd also generally stay away from synthetic insulation. Just giving my 2 cents...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

I have a WM Ultralight. Love it to pieces! Bought it used. See Mav's great post above for a deal.
steiny98
Topix Regular

Post by steiny98 »

Just a heads up the Marmot Ion 20 degree 850 fp is on massdrop today.
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

My Western Mountaineering bag is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever purchased. Worth every penny.