Is BA Double Z Pad (1.5 R-Value) Warm Enough?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Is BA Double Z Pad (1.5 R-Value) Warm Enough?

Post by powderhound »

I decided my NeoAir is too thin for me (side sleeper) and picked up a Big Agnes Double Z on sale. I'm wondering about the R-rating though--will it be too cold for the high Sierra in the summer? I have a 20 degree bag, sleep in thermals, and generally run pretty warm, but I keep reading that 1.5 it too low. The only time I ever got cold with my current setup was at Guitar Lake on a really cold night, and I solved my problem by sleeping in my down jacket and wearing an extra pair of socks.

Should I return the Double Z and pick up a Q-Core SL (for about double the price), or should I just not worry about it? Would it make a difference at all if I carried a space blanket to throw under the sleeping pad on really cold nights?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is BA Double Z Pad (1.5 R-Value) Warm Enough?

Post by AlmostThere »

You could add a ccf like the Z rest to it and bump it to 2.5, and probably do okay.

Foam pads make good sit pads, and are a good backup to an inflatable that can start to leak if punctured.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You could add a ccf like the Z rest to it and bump it to 2.5, and probably do okay.

Foam pads make good sit pads, and are a good backup to an inflatable that can start to leak if punctured.
:thumbsup:
This set -up adds versatility for a minimal weight and you can leave it home on lower elevation trips if you want too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Powderhound - Interesting that it's too thin. I SWEAR by the Sea to Summit ultralight insulated. 15 oz, same R value as the Thermarest. I am a side sleeper and find it super comfy. It's same basic dimenions as the BA DZ, but only 2." I like my mattress firm though. It's 40 Dernier, TPU laminated. You can jump up and down on it with mountainering boots on, extremely durable.

I had 2 of the Neo Air SUL pads, and they both got a hole first night, and I am really careful about site selection and keeping floor of shelter clean. plus too narrow, too loud, and the edges collapse so it feels even more narrow.

I think the S2S pads are worth a try, I really don't think the thickness is necessarily a good guide to comfort. Plus, at 2 inches if fill up in no time. I guess if you like your mattress really soft though, there's no substitute to a thicker mat. They also make a comfort line that is a bit thicker, plus it has two chambers so the underside can be firm, and the top soft. Let me know what you think of them if you get a chance to go to REI.

I know this is left field, just really happy with that part of my setup and want to share.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I guess it depends on your hips. Mine have never appreciated 1 - 2.5 inch pads, as I am what you could term zaftig -- they sink right through to the ground. The 3.5 inch exped or the 4 inch Q Core -- heaven on earth.