Frosty Coolers?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Frosty Coolers?

Post by John Harper »

I stumbled across this cooler, does anyone have one?

https://www.frosty-coolers.com/collections/coolers

Does not look bearproof, but the 35 size would work great for solo trips, small enough to fit in a trail head bear box too. $99 seems quite a deal.

John
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Frosty Coolers?

Post by The Other Tom »

Never heard of 'em but looks like a YETI knockoff.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I noticed that they're not IGBC Certified like YETI and others are. I emailed them and they said that certs are given in April and they are pursuing getting that. If they do I may find myself in the possession of one.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Thanks for contacting them, that would be an added value to the price!

John
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Confused. Why...what does "bear-resistant" mean? - (relative to legal food storage in our Sierra?)
Also, it says: "a bear-resistant food container when used with 2 padlocks (sold separately) on both front corners." Can't be for backpacking... Car-camping? Horse-packing? Paddling? Canoodling?
BTW, haven't heard much about the who/what/why of "IGBC Certified" - or how their Official certification matters squat to Sierra Rangers.
Educate me please.
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

markskor wrote: Also, it says: "a bear-resistant food container when used with 2 padlocks (sold separately) on both front corners."
Where did you see that? I must have missed it, or the Frosty 35 model does not have that feature? That'll keep my cheap bastid friends out of my ice cold beer! Perfect for car camping or TH storage in a box too. The price is only about $20-30 more than the 5 day Coleman styles.

John
Last edited by John Harper on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

As far as I know all bear canisters allowed for use in the NP and NF have to be IGBC. This means that they have gone through testing by the agency and met the standards set forth to be "bear-resistant, whatever those may be." All packers' panniers also have to be IGBC certified. Note that the IGBC is based in Montana and deals mostly with Grizzlies in Yellowstone and nearby lands, so they shoud be adequate for our black bears. In regards to Sierra Rangers, I see it as being similar to leaving a Bearikade or Bearvault with food in it in a campground. Although it isn't in a metal bearbox I think they would be hard pressed to give you a ticket. If your cooler is also certified by the same agency that the NP requires it's panniers and canisters to be certified by, then why can't it be left out as well? I wouldn't try it in a campground if there's a bear box available, but I often disperse camp in the NF where there aren't any bear boxes. I feel this would be a viable option for this situation
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

For info on "bear resistant" look at http://igbconline.org/

Yeti is; Frosty is not. The video at http://yeti.com/tundra lower left of the page. is fun.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Can't be for backpacking...
Not at 17 pounds.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

maverick wrote:
Can't be for backpacking...
Not at 17 pounds.
I wouldn't even take that canoe camping, In a big raft? Maybe.