Mountain Hardwear Down Jacket Repair?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mountain Hardwear Down Jacket Repair?

Post by steiny98 »

Hey all- Unfortunately my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer had a hole burned through it last night... not getting into the specifics of how my friend did it, but does anyone have any experience with repairing down jackets? It is about 1" x 1" and impacted four baffles on the back.

I called MH and they said I'd have to wait to speak with someone at the Warranty department when they open 1/3/17.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mountain Hardwear Down Jacket Repair?

Post by maverick »

You can use some clear tenacious tape to patch it, if it needs more repair then that, then just wait and talk to MH's warranty department.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jdille
Topix Acquainted

Post by jdille »

I had the same thing happen to my ghost whisperer jacket. They are great being extremely lightweight but are pretty fragile too.
I have a couple of small holes that I've thrown some tenacious tape on and it works great. But when I had burn damage from a charcoal grill a couple of years ago I decided I needed to have the baffles repaired in the front (I had two that were missing down). Rainy Pass repair (http://rainypass.com/) repaired mine with added down and it looks pretty good for $75 (they ended up repairing four baffles). The patched fabric is not shiny like the rest of the jacket, but the repair itself is flawless and I think it gives it character.
steiny98
Topix Regular

Post by steiny98 »

Good to know about that place. I sent mine to Mountain Hardwear and will wait to see if they can repair it and how much it will cost. If it is unreasonable or not doable then I will definitely give rainypass a shot. Thanks for the recommendation.
steiny98
Topix Regular

Post by steiny98 »

Update:

Mountain Hardwear got back to me and offered to repair it but they didn't have the same fabric color OR they offered me a credit in the amount of the jacket with which I could purchase a replacement. All I am responsible for is taxes and shipping.

I took the new jacket.

Very nice to see a company go above and beyond what I expected.
jdille
Topix Acquainted

Post by jdille »

Wow. That's great! I assumed with my own jacket that burns wouldn't be covered. Good to know!