Custom Stuff Sacks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Custom Stuff Sacks?

Post by John Harper »

I'm looking for a stuff sack approximately 23" long and 4" diameter. Does anyone know of something close to this size? Or a custom order place?

It's for my Klymit pad, which is 23" wide. I have a Thermarest stuff sack, but it's a bit short at 20".

John
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Custom Stuff Sacks?

Post by rlown »

could look here: https://www.campmor.com/c/thermarest-un ... stuff-sack The 11.5L would be the closest. The other option is to talk to local Seamstress shops in your area about making a custom one for you. I know that Markskor does that with his local seamstress in Mammoth.

Guessing your pad didn't come with one for some reason??
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

rlown wrote:Guessing your pad didn't come with one for some reason??
It did, but it's too small for what I need. I want to roll the pad and lash my flyrod in it's sock to it. Been using my old Thermarest sack, but just wanted something that fit a bit better. The Thermarest sack is just a bit short.

John
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I'm missing some aspect of this. If the new pad came with a stuff sack that fits, why are you using the old Thermarest sack, If you only want to lash something to the outside? Mini-bungees are perfect for that.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Thanks Dave, I emailed heliumhiking about a quote. The stuff sack that came with my Klymit pad is designed for the pad to be folded into a small package. I like to roll it up, strap it vertically outside the pack, and tie my rod-socked flyrod against it. That way I don't need a rod tube and the rod is fairly well protected. The Thermarest sack is just a little short for my 23" pad when rolled. I hope that explains the issue.

Thank you,

John
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Well, it looks like Helium Hiking is no longer in business. I tried a phone number I found and it was disconnected. Sent a couple emails, so we'll see. Too bad, it looks like they could make me what I wanted.

Ordered the 23" x 5" pole sack from Simply Light. I assume the open circumference is 10" which makes it about 3.25" diameter, which should fit my inflatable pad quite snugly I hope. Thanks for the information. On my way to being a happy camper.

John
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Dave Ayers, and of course, Simply Light Designs. I decided to order a 6" x 30" sack with a couple attachment loops sewn to the sack. Total cost was $12 delivered, what a deal. Here's a photo of my setup, ready to attach to my pack. Keep the flyrod nice and safe too. The original sack is shown, not as functional for my needs as my new sack IMO.
There's also enough room to slip the rod inside the sack too, although what I have has always worked (although I don't carry it upside down like that as a rule :eek:).

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

John
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I had Simply Light make a stuff-sack for me once too. They did a good job, no complaints.