Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Post by Asolthane »

I just pitched it in the rain, it's coming down here in San Francisco. Seems great, the water beads right off. I am not sure about the "hydrostatic head" measurements for the amount of waterproofness of fabric. It does seem that it would either keep rain off you, or it wouldn't. This seems like it would work great.

Does anyone use the trailstar in the High Sierra? It dosen't seem to be a popular shelter out here.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the clarification
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I just bought one and am eager to trim it out in the Sierra this summer. I will report back here how I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Asolthane wrote:I just pitched it in the rain, it's coming down here in San Francisco. Seems great, the water beads right off. I am not sure about the "hydrostatic head" measurements for the amount of waterproofness of fabric. It does seem that it would either keep rain off you, or it wouldn't. This seems like it would work great.

Does anyone use the trailstar in the High Sierra? It dosen't seem to be a popular shelter out here.
Oubliet wrote:I just bought one and am eager to try it out in the Sierra this summer. I will report back here how I like it.

Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

Oubliet wrote:I just bought one and am eager to trim it out in the Sierra this summer. I will report back here how I like it.

I have used this a ton at the park and have camped under it in the front country. Because of the video MLD posted on FB showing the difference in durability, I am reluctant to take it into backcountry. I coated it with diluted silicone, I am not worried about it leaking, just ripping. I use a TT notch on solo trips, and I would need this for trips with a friend/partner, but i don't want to be responsible for a ruined trip due to shelter getting destroyed in a wind storm...