Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Post by freestone »

MLD responds to the low priced knock off.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mountai ... 962682726/
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

freestone wrote:MLD responds to the low priced knock off.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mountai ... 962682726/
Well ****. I think the ethics of it are quite interesting.

- Ethical labor...I am pretty skeptical about most of these claims for companies that manufacture their stuff outside of US. There are certifications they can get, I suppose I could look further into it.
- Intellectial property...This seems like a valid area where maybe it isn't ethical for me to have made this purchase. Like Ron said in the video, I was just curious and wated to check it out.

Looks like a piece of junk, but I am still excited about setting it up in my backyard, and potentially using it as a template to make a DIY copy (which it seems MLD is also pretty cool with)

Based on that video I am very likely to purchase something from MLD in the future, I really appreciated the vibe.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Personally, would not but this product, the main reason being that is a knock off, it directly undercuts one of our American manufacturer of outdoor gear, I still value the "Made in the USA" products, even if many materials or assembly takes place abroad.

Also, MLD puts back into US outdoor community, unlike its Chinese counterpart, which means something to me.
MLD writes:
When we make a sale for any gear a part of that goes back into the hiking community via support for many trail charities/orgs, free gear to magazines, trail crews, and athletes that inspire us and into the development of the sport and ever better new products for you.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Well, it looks like if I like this I will be very likely to buy one from MLD.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by punchcard »

I got my tarp last week and went out over the weekend. It held up fine in mild 5-10mph winds. Seems ok so far.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Personally, would not but this product, the main reason being that is a knock off, it directly undercuts one of our American manufacturer of outdoor gear, I still value the "Made in the USA" products, even if many materials or assembly takes place abroad.

Also, MLD puts back into US outdoor community, unlike its Chinese counterpart, which means something to me.
MLD writes:
When we make a sale for any gear a part of that goes back into the hiking community via support for many trail charities/orgs, free gear to magazines, trail crews, and athletes that inspire us and into the development of the sport and ever better new products for you.
Completely agree.. Buy American first...
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

I just got home from a vacation and the tarp was waiting for me.

- In the MLD video he mentiones that it's "just a bound edge." The construction seems find to me, can anyone explain why a flat felled seam would be better than a doubled bound edge?
- I filled up the fabric and made a sort of water baloon pocket and then squeezed it. Indeed it did seem the water came trough quickly, and worringly along creases in the fabric. I did the same with silnylon from a sea to summit stuff sack and it was clearly inferior.

I am still looking forward to playing with it, and I guess I could pitch it in the rain in the backyard and see what happens, but it looks like it's destined to be a shade structure or something. If I like the form factor and think it would be a good 2 person shelter, I will order one from MLD.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

probably need to do the usual seam seal action on it like we do with Henry's Tarptent products. works..

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wuxUcOZYvog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Asolthane wrote:

- I filled up the fabric and made a sort of water baloon pocket and then squeezed it. Indeed it did seem the water came trough quickly, and worringly along creases in the fabric. I did the same with silnylon from a sea to summit stuff sack and it was clearly inferior.

a bit confused here...are you saying the Sea to Summit was inferior to the MLD ?
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

The Other Tom wrote:
Asolthane wrote:

a bit confused here...are you saying the Sea to Summit was inferior to the MLD ?
Water came through both fabrics when I squeezed to apply pressure. It looked like it took less pressure for the water to go through the fabric used in the TS knockoff, but it was hard to tell because the TS knockoff had the water come through in beads (like in the video Ron Bell posted) but the Sea to Summit one just got wet rather than having beads come through. I meant the sea to summit sil seemed better.

I know I would need to seam seal it, I didn't test any seams. I was referring to the wrinkles in the fabric. It doesent feel like a high quality sil nylon, too dry feeling.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk