What down jacket?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What down jacket?

Post by Npike »

Wow, that's sounds great! I will definitely be taking you up on that offer (and posting TR's in return!) thanks for the info Maverick!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

AlmostThere wrote:I don't think I have ever heard a complaint about WM -- people think they are too expensive, but those are just the people who don't actually own the gear. Other brands you will hear all kinds of things about being underrated, but never heard that about WM, usually just the opposite...
Agree with AT above...
Before I bought my WM Badger sleeping bag, was convinced that no (Sierra 3-Season) bag was worth the catalog ~$500+ asking price.
After pulling the trigger (now 15 years ago), first night was amazed...should have bought one years earlier...Still going strong today too.
Deals can be found...seen 20 -25% off occasionally.
BTW, also have the WM Flite down vest....used in conjunction / over an Arc'Teryx fleece layer...(not a big fan of thin puffy sleeves in the backcountry). A Patagonia waterproof shell...2.5 Gortex (bought intentionally one size larger - roomier) completes my layering system.

IMHO. always buy the best first...never settle for the second option. You will soon enough, invariably regret not spending a few dollars more when you had the chance.
Mountainman who swims with trout
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

For high Sierra summer I'd recommend looking for something with about 3 ounces of goose down (750 or greater "fill power"), 4 ounces would be better if you chill easily. The newer chemically treated "dry" down hasn't really lived up to the hype. If a model has it, fine. If not, whatever.

Since you'd like to use it around town too, you may want to stay away from ones with ultra wispy fabrics.

I like a hood, but get what works for you. Hand pockets are useful not only for hands but other things that you'd like to keep warm like fuel canisters for your stove, certain water filters, batteries & electronics, candy bars & peanut butter, etc. Some models have interior pockets too which makes keeping those items warm that much easier. Another feature to look for is a good sealing waist hem that's long enough to cover your entire torso. Bonus if it can drop down over your derriere. As mentioned above, baffle construction is warmer than sewn-through, but at these temperatures not mandatory. Sewn-through models will be significantly cheaper.

I use a Mont-bell Frost Smoke Parka for Sierra Spring, Summer, and Fall. I add a light 100 weight fleece to layer over for early & late season trips.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Bit of heresy here but unless you are winter camping/mountaineering why down? I have a similar combo to markskor (don't need the size of the badger but it is a damn fine bag). It cracks me seeing all the cool people in their down gear in the winter in Bend and it seldom stays below 40 during the day. Gee a cotton hoody is all you need to travel between the brewpubs and little lycra and fleece is good for cross country skiing, especially if you are 40 lbs overweight. A nice cotton flannel shirt is great for drinking beer and watching football, Carhart coveralls and a sweatshirt for cutting and splitting firewood. Did pick up an old down jacket in a thrift store that I keep in the 4 runner during the winter in case of emergency but otherwise down just isn't in my wardrobe! Go wool when active and it is cold!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

ive been happy with my montbell alpine down parka for i think like 8 years now....it looks kind of funny and stinks but I am OK with that.