small backup flashlight...Fenix E01

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

small backup flashlight...Fenix E01

Post by SSSdave »

The below links to one of the best backup flashlights for backpackers, the Fenix E01 that currently goes for just $11 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Lumens-W ... B013CQ1OYY

For backpacking almost all of us carry a headlamp for reasons that need not be explained in this knowledgeable user community. However it is one of a few key items where some kind of backup provides important safety like a second Bic lighter or pair of eyeglasses. The notion of bringing two headlamps would add unnecessary weight while a really small spare flashlight weighs little. The waterproof bombproof aluminum body E01 is minimally larger than a single AAA battery that powers it and weighs just 14 grams sans AAA.

There are smaller LED flashlights than the E01 that use coin button batteries but light outputs are sure to be weak as battery cell capacities are much less than an AAA. Additionally coin button batteries are not rechargeable and if lithium, expensive to toss. The E01 uses a voltage regulating IC that provides a constant 13 lumen brightness regardless of how much an AAA has run down as long as it is above a minimum threshold. That regulation also means there is not the usual cheap flashlight brightness level advantage to using an alkaline battery (new 1.65volts) versus a charged NiMH (charged 1.2 volts) given similar capacities. Nor does the light dim as the battery gradually discharges.

I own 4 of the E01's in different colors and use high capacity NiMH batteries of which I have dozens of both AA and AAA. Out in the backcountry one is always in my daypack and back at home or hi tech workplace, one is always in my pocket. There is a hole at the end of the aluminum body one can push a cord through in order to make a wrist loop that can be especially functional in the dark. Slipped around one's wrist inside a tent where bears may visit, it provides a certain readily available light source when one suddenly wakes up by spooky sounds of twigs breaking nearby.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... les-0.html
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: small backup flashlight...Fenix E01

Post by longri »

That's a nice light. With a AAA alkaline battery it would weigh about 26g, just shy of an ounce. Too bad you can't strap it to your head.

With a regulator one might suppose you could use a disposible lithium AAA but Fenix doesn't say that it's acceptable. Maybe their regulator can't deal with voltages greater than 1.5V. Too bad if that's the case since a lithium AAA is lighter and lasts longer, especially in the cold.

Either way, I think as a backup for camp use it's overkill.
SSSdave wrote:There are smaller LED flashlights than the E01 that use coin button batteries but light outputs are sure to be weak as battery cell capacities are much less than an AAA.
My keychain LED weighs less than 12g with the batteries. It puts out more light (16 lumens) in high power mode than the Fenix E01. But that much light is rarely necessary around camp. And, unlike the Fenix, it also has a lower power mode. In the lower light setting it lasts up to three times longer than the E01. I almost never think about changing the batteries. I can't remember the last time I did.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

I love Fenix flashlights. I don't have an E01 but my UC30 for car camping is awesome.

Another great option for a small backup is the Nitecore Tube Keychain light. They weigh about a third on an ounce each, are infinitely variable from 1 to 45 lumens, rugged and recharge by micro usb. A three pack currently on Massdrop costs $20 + $3 shipping. I always keep one in my fishing pack and one with my whistle.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nitecore-tube
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I've been quite happy with the UK mini pocket light (http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/uk2a ... Byw8_orKUk ). With Lithium batteries, its 1.0 oz without the ring and 0.8 oz. without the ring and clip.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

Dave_Ayers wrote:I've been quite happy with the UK mini pocket light (http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/uk2a ... Byw8_orKUk ). With Lithium batteries, its 1.0 oz without the ring and 0.8 oz. without the ring and clip.

That light is cool and it has a cap clip.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Dave_Ayers wrote:I've been quite happy with the UK mini pocket light (http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/uk2a ... Byw8_orKUk ). With Lithium batteries, its 1.0 oz without the ring and 0.8 oz. without the ring and clip.
Does it really only last for 1.5-2 hrs ?

--------------------------------------------------
Battery Type: Alkaline Disposable
Lamp Type: XENON
Battery Description: 2 AAA Alkaline / LR3
Burn Time (Alkaline): 1.5-2 hrs
Light Output (Alkaline): 12 lm
Weight: 1.30 oz 36.85 g
Beam Distance: 115.00 ft 35.05 m

edit: Oh I see, that's with alkaline batteries. Lithium AAAs maybe 3x as much burn time?
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I prefer any of the Pelican lights because of their quality, warranty, and proudly made in America (Torrance, CA to be precise).

Pelican FLASHLIGHTS
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I finally got around to testing the UK. I got ~22 hours on a pair of Energizer lithium batteries before the light got too dim. They are also made in the USA (per the web site).
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

mschnaidt wrote:I love Fenix flashlights. I don't have an E01 but my UC30 for car camping is awesome.

Another great option for a small backup is the Nitecore Tube Keychain light.
I just got a three pack, they are definitely cool little lights. I only wish they made one with glow in the dark case, so if you set it down at night you can find it. Amazingly bright. Supposed to run 1 hour on high, which is probably okay for short trips with sparing use. Maybe some glow tape wrapped around it.

John
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I just ran the TUBE light for an hour, still going strong. I'm sold.

John