New Bear can on indiegogo

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New Bear can on indiegogo

Post by mschnaidt »

Agreed, getting on the approved list is critical. I hope my investment helps... If not I'll (hopefully) have a 13 oz camp stool that will keep marmots and mice out of my food.

The Weekender's capacity is 650 cubic inches. The Hunny Basic and Yosemite models are 711 Cubic Inches. Their Ursa Minor has a capacity of 283 CI.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New Bear can on indiegogo

Post by AlmostThere »

mschnaidt wrote:Agreed, getting on the approved list is critical. I hope my investment helps... If not I'll (hopefully) have a 13 oz camp stool that will keep marmots and mice out of my food.

The Weekender's capacity is 650 cubic inches. The Hunny Basic and Yosemite models are 711 Cubic Inches. Their Ursa Minor has a capacity of 283 CI.
The Weekender I have is a little larger than that.

They do custom work, you know....

It would also be hard to get my hind end to balance on a surface smaller than a Weekender... I'd be afraid of tipping.

I'm not sure why they are obsessing about scents. Users will transfer scents to the outside of the can, and bears have noses seven times keener than dogs, which any poodle or spaniel or terrier is capable of identifying 500 year old remains as human -- work with SAR dogs and you figure out quickly that if a bear is so much more able to sniff something out, you're just screwed, forget about scents. Work on something they can't get their jaws around. If the base isn't six inches across, it's not going to work.

Just saw a photograph on Facebook of a Bear Vault with the BOTTOM torn off it. Those Adirondak Bears keep life interesting.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

AlmostThere wrote:
mschnaidt wrote:...The Weekender's capacity is 650 cubic inches...
The Weekender I have is a little larger than that.

They do custom work, you know....
It's not a Weekender then. It's a Custom Bearikade.

We can hope, while we're hoping that that the Hunny really works, is certified and is affordable, that it is also eventually offered in custom sizes (or at least some additional in between sizes).

AlmostThere wrote:I'm not sure why they are obsessing about scents.
I was wondering the same thing. But I also have observed that bears are not always as keen as is advertised when it comes to sniffing out food. So maybe they're on to something? If it adds to the cost/weight or reduces the usable volume I'd choose to leave the odor absorbers out. I mean, a bear canister is already pretty much a Brinks Safe.

I'm still dreaming about someone getting acceptance for a soft canister -- a lightweight bag of some sort. The Hunny would be a big improvement but would still suffer from the same unfortunate limitations as other hard canisters: rigidity and fixed, limited volume. There will continue to be a certain percentage of people who can't fit their food in their canisters and resort to less effective means of storage.
MarchingOn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by MarchingOn »

Seems like the tapered shape serves a 4th practical function. All the cylindrical canisters provide a horizontally "flat" surface to stabilize against the ground with a paw. Looks like the tapered shape would make it harder, though not impossible, for a bear to hold it steady on the ground. Although I'm sure they'd learn quick enough that they have to apply pressure across the middle rather than off to one side to keep it from slipping away.