5+ years Later: What's your pack weigh? | High Sierra Topix  

5+ years Later: What's your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

5+ years Later: What's your pack weigh?

Postby rayfound » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

I had a lot of fun reading an old topic from a lot of us on pack weights, it happened around the time I started working on getting my pack weight down, and a lightweight mentality has continued to influence my decisions.

Old thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3743

I am wondering how we've all changed (or not) our typical loadout. As for me, I have made a few more changes, shaving quite a bit of weight from my sleeping pad, and fishing gear - not really taking any less gear per se, just skipping the vest and extras. Still, I have added in a bear Canister as standard gear, and I'm down about 4lbs since then total. This was after my first big push to shave weight, going from 40+ to 26-28.

So here I am now, assuming a shared trip, at 22.62lbs. I actually do a tad better than this, because of all the items that are marked as "0.5 Qty Needed" - those are shared responsibility with my camp partner, but he ends up carrying the full tent, I carry everything else. so my real pack is about 22lbs with everything except water. (I try to carry little water, just drink mostly at the source when possible - depends on trail obviously)

What about you all? packing more or less than before?

rayfound
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 5+ years Later: What's your pack weigh?

Postby rlown » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 pm

NIce.

I still like 52lbs at the start for ten days (better at 45lbs.) I'm 54ishyo now. I take what I take. Nice food. 2 spin rods. rain gear as you fish until your guides freeze. I've switched to the neoair mattress, a tarp tent (double rainbow), and a WM badger. Carry the katydyn still. Less weight, but I like the experience with layover days.

per your list.. I don't carry soap, granola, matches (bic lighters instead). I do carry a "real" stove (white gas)..

I do like being out in the Sierra weather, and that's what I bring. If its raining or almost snowing, I'll fish.

Now, I need to find a good chair... :)

It's not about the age, it's about how you approach that which you seek. Slow is ok.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby rayfound » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:11 pm

I frankly, the matches are backup for the lighter... Which, is kind of silly but the weight is trivial.

I've been eying the double-rainbow for over a year - what's your experience with it like? How about for 2 people that are not a couple? With its weight, it could be a big savings for me on shared trips, and slightly lighter than my not-very comfortable solo shelter (Slumberjack summer bivy... more really small tent than actual bivy) for trips where I am not sharing shelter.

I am really lusting after the WM Terralite. 25F rating, sub 2lbs, but cut wide, perfect for people like me who side sleep and toss and turn a lot. Not any lighter than my current bag, but warmer (current bag is a 30f rating, but that's the "lower limit" - EN comfort rating is 43... WM by all accounts is pretty conservative in ratings), and much more comfortable cut.
rayfound
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Jimr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:17 pm

In the '80's, a pack loaded for 8 days weighed 58 lbs at it's lightest. When I was forced to carry a bear can, I estimate it went up to 60 lbs. I never weighed it, but I packed the same way I did in the '80', so that's a good guess. I had two choices, stop only near a rock I could set it on and back into the pack or wrap my arm through a shoulder strap and grab the top center cross bar (external pack), do a dead lift straight up and hope to heck the other shoulder strap cooperated, then lower it down into place. I can't count how many time I've almost thrown myself off of a trail when the pack swung too far the other way.

After replacing all of my gear (even the pooper scooper), I have no clue what it weighs, but I can pick it up with one hand and sling it on my back. My guess is somewhere between 35 and 40 lbs for an 8 day trip. I may never actually weigh it, but I will be going back over what I bring and see what more I can shave off. Carrying a dSLR with extra lens, tripod and case adds a bit more than the old film SLR with a single lens just hanging from my neck.

Going from 60 down to 40, that's 20 lbs shaved off, but considering the roughly 5 or 6 lbs added back, that's roughly 25 lbs shaved off just replacing old gear with new. The reason for the 5lb variance in my estimate is because when I go alone or with a friend, I use a Tarptent Moment DW. When I go with my girlfriend, I take along the Bellagio (A 1980's REI half dome, 3 person tent). That's about 3.5 extra lbs of tent added in.

"Now, I need to find a good chair" Hmmmm, gotta think about something light that can turn a bear can from a sittin' stool into a lounge chair :rolleyes:
Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?
--Rumi
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby rlown » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 pm

rayfound wrote:I've been eying the double-rainbow for over a year - what's your experience with it like? How about for 2 people that are not a couple? With its weight, it could be a big savings for me on shared trips, and slightly lighter than my not-very comfortable solo shelter (Slumberjack summer bivy... more really small tent than actual bivy) for trips where I am not sharing shelter.

Let's see. Take 2-230-240lb guys and two long/wide neo-air mattresses and stick them in the double rainbow. I'm down to 208 now, so bonus! I do toss/turn, but we were very comfortable in the rain/light snow at French Basin in that tent in late September on 3 different trips. It is not a good tent to take a nap in during the day. Heats up if you're in full sun like you cannot believe even with the doors open and only the netting closed (unless you have a nice wind.) I have staked it out using the trekking pole solution, but my BD poles are the curved grips and the TT isn't really designed for that. The mini-bungie solved that issue. Only did that to see if it'd work. Rather stake her out..

I also dropped the garcia for the bearikade can. That was very nice.

My first day weight is always heavy, but I accept its food and it will be eaten.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby sheperd80 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:42 pm

https://lighterpack.com

Last trip was about 15 before food and water. Not shown on the list is a camera, handgun and fishing gear. With food water and fuel, i hit the trail at about 23.

It varies based on the trip of course. Im always aiming for lighter but bring what i want based on expected conditions. This trip was somewhat casual so i brought more camp luxuries. Sit pad, camp shoes, better fishing kit, etc. Bugs were expected so i added the net and extra spray. Weather was good so clothing was minimal. Had friends along so brought excessive food. Lots of water along trail so i carried less. Etc etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby rlown » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 pm

This is what zero day -1 looks like for me.. Wife doesn't appreciate it but It gives me a visual cue as I pack... Its the culling exercise.

prep 2013 002.JPG

Everything on the table. Food goes in the can last after the gear is accounted for. I do weigh my pack before trips. Bent the bathroom scale before a 12 day Trinity hike. That was funny.
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Jimr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:02 am

"Broke the bathroom scale" hmmmmm, hard to weigh a pack without weighing yourself with it on and with it off. I guess you'll need a beefier scale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?
--Rumi
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby sheperd80 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 am

rlown wrote:This is what zero day -1 looks like for me.. Wife doesn't appreciate it but It gives me a visual cue as I pack... Its the culling exercise.

prep 2013 002.JPG

Everything on the table. Food goes in the can last after the gear is accounted for. I do weigh my pack before trips. Bent the bathroom scale before a 12 day Trinity hike. That was funny.

Yeah i do the same, thats how i make sure im not forgetring anything. Still usually forget 1 thing each trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Postby robow8 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:19 am

Jimr wrote:"Now, I need to find a good chair" Hmmmm, gotta think about something light that can turn a bear can from a sittin' stool into a lounge chair :rolleyes:

Here's how I do it with mine:
Bearcan.JPG

REI Flexlite Chair and Bearikade.
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.
robow8
Topix Regular

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix