Gravity filter / shower

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Gravity filter / shower

Post by overheadx2 »

I posted this on my trail report and had a few PMs asking about it so I thought I would post pics of my setup. First, I use a large 13L dry bag since I usually hike with a group of 3 or more and would rather bring a larger bag so that we can filter around 7 liters at a time with one trip to the lake. I cut of the top of a platypus bag and just screwed the top and hose bib together through the nylon. I like to put the hose on the side of the bag so that particles settle to the bottom and don't go into the filter.

Since the Filter needs a quick connect becouse it needs to be stored in a warm spot at night, I simply put a quick connect on a salvaged shower head that has a shut off valve in it.

I then throw a rope over a branch over a nice flat rock, boil some water (I do 50% boiled water to 50 % lake water) MAKE SURE you roll the dry bag up at least 3 rolls so that the weight of the bag doesn't tear the top strap.

For you clean freaks like me, any one not wanting to polute the lakes and rivers and any of you dirt bags that just like a hot shower once in a while its a great alternative.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Gravity filter / shower

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the follow up, that looks pretty simple. I need to look into this.