What's your temp?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: What's your temp?

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Since I sleep really cold, I appreciate my 10-degree bag (WM Super Antelope), even when above freezing.
My wife has a Super Antelope. It's her mid-winter bag and often is too much bag for late winter in the Sierra. She would laugh at the suggestion of carrying it in August. But she sleeps warm. A friend of hers has something similar to the Antelope or maybe even bigger for summer. Her friend sleeps really cold.

That's it in a nutshell: nighttime metabolism.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

I agree with Wandering Daisy. Ounce for ounce, a balaclava provides more warmth than any other clothing or gear. The only thing that provides more warmth per ounce is bread bags on the feet.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

I have used my WM Apache 15 degree bag almost every trip, in the past. The last 3 years I have used my old but reliable REI Sub Kilo claiming a 15 degree bag,but realistically a 25 degree bag. The Apache was too warm for me. I am in my 60's. For me, the weather in the Sierra has gotten warmer, with nights averaging above 30 degrees. Cold nights down in the high 20's still happen, but not as frequently as in the past. I hike usually at 7-8 thousand feet.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

sambieni wrote:I use a +10 REI UL Nooksack https://www.rei.com/product/700564/rei- ... g-bag-long
It is about 10 years old.
Described as a synthetic down.

While it is described as 10 degrees it is much warmer than that so I have run cold on somed nights - Glacier NP comes to mind (Have not really tested in Sierras save 1 SEKI night) - to really layer up w long tops/bottoms and I believe fleece/socks too. Doubtful a hat or down jacket.

I never cowboy camp.

I am going to test it on solo in the Sierras over July 4 weekend. If I run cold, it may prove time to upgrade to a new bag like about 20-25 range.
After reading this thread and taking a peak at my Nooksack, plus related reviews and finding bag is heavier than originally thought, I decided to retire this from backpacking use and not test over July 4.

I splurged on WM Ultralite 20F. Used it 2 nights over July 4 weekend at Ediza and Thousand Island Lakes. Ediza ran a touch colder and I was fully zipped up w fleece top and shorts, while at Thousand Islands t-shirt and shorts all night with full zip only latter half of the night. Nights were likely mid-to-upper 40's.

Bag was super comfy, much better sleep, and rolled with me well when I tossed/turned - unlike my REI bag.

In short - I realize I run a lot colder than years prior. I am from East Coast, but 5+ years out here and my metabolism has shifted a ton. I am sure bag will be great when drops into 30's and a bit below, but I will definitely have to layer on quite a bit.
Last edited by sambieni on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

That Ultralight is an awesome sleeping bag! You will get many years use out of it.